Applying for Master’s degree programmes
Submitting your Master's degree application
You have decided to apply for a Master’s degree programme at Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU). We congratulate you on your decision and would be glad to welcome you at FAU.
On this website, you will find further information about the application process. Please read the information carefully before applying for a Master’s degree programme via our online application portal Campo at our university.
- Please note that the below checklists are only a short version without any further descriptions. Please observe the detailed checklist which is attached to the application form. The application form can be downloaded after having submitted the online application via Campo.
- Further information regarding additionally required supporting documents is available on the PDF file Supporting documents for applications for Master’s degree programmes at FAU and on the websites of the various Master’s degree programmes.
- Please note that the application period for MSc Psychology is scheduled to begin in May 2020. Applications for MSc Psychology may only be made for the first and third semester in the winter semester. An application with all required documents for MSc Psychology must be submitted to FAU by 1 August 2020. The final submission deadline for the Bachelor’s degree certificate is 15 September 2020 if the applicant does not already have the certificate at the time of applying for the first semester of this Master’s degree programme.
- summer semester 2020: The application period starts on 16 December 2019. Please observe that not all Master’s degree programmes will be offered in the summer semester.
- Winter semester 2020/21: The application period starts on 20 January 2020 or 6 April 2020. You will find an overview here.
Please observe that you cannot apply for the summer semester 2020 and the winter semester 2020/21 simultaneously.
The application deadline has been extended for the following Master’s degree programmes:
- Materials Physics (MSc): 15 March 2020
- Physics (MSc): 15 March 2020
If you are interested in the following degree programmes, please first apply for the preselection process. Further information is available on the website of the relevant degree programme:
- Advanced Materials and Processes (MSc): MAP-Website.
- Advanced Optical Technologies (MSc): MAOT-Website.
- Advanced Signal Processing and Communications Engineering (MSc): ASC-Website.
- Communications und Multimedia Engineering (MSc): CME-Website.
- Computational Engineering (MSc): CE-Website.
- Ethik der Textkulturen (MA): Ethik der Textkulturen-Website (German).
- Integrated Life Sciences (ILS) – Biology, Biomathematics and Biophysics (MSc): ILS-Website.
- Physical Activity and Health (MA): Physical Activity and Health-Website.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are not able to provide any information regarding your application status. However, you can check your application status at www.campo.fau.eu.
Information on applications
To be admitted to a Master’s degree programme you must have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent. Before applying, please read the current information on Master’s degree programmes at FAU. A separate list of all international degree programmes and degree programmes taught in English is provided.
If you want to apply for one of our Master’s degree programmes the most important information regarding the application procedure in general, special admission requirements, application deadlines and admissions examinations for individual degree programmes is available here:
- Application deadlines and language proficiency for Master’s degree programmes
- Supporting documents for applications for Master degree programmes at FAU
If you are required to complete a German language course before starting a degree programme that is taught in German, you must first apply for this via the application portal campo. You must then send all required documents to the Master’s Office by post.
Referat L4 – Masterbüro
The application process
You can only apply for a Master’s degree programme at FAU if you have completed or will soon complete an undergraduate degree (e.g. Bachelor’s degree) at a public or state-approved university that qualifies you to progress to Master’s study.
It is possible to start a Master’s degree programme before completing your undergraduate degree if you meet certain minimum requirements. You must present your undergraduate degree certificate within one year of starting your Master’s degree programme. If you are unable to do so, you will not be able to continue with the Master’s degree programme. Applicants with non-German Bachelor’s degrees must present their Bachelor’s degree certificate before enrolling.
In addition, Diplom students must be close to completing their degree programme.
Individual degree programmes that make use of this rule have different requirements. If you are unsure of which requirements apply, please contact the degree programme co-ordinator. The following list provides an overview of the different regulations at each of the faculties with regard to the minimum requirements for applications:
Students can apply for most degree programmes at the Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Theology leading to a Master of Arts (M.A.) degree after obtaining a total of 140 ECTS credits from completed modules. Other rules apply for the degree programme in Psychology (M. Sc.). Please refer to the relevant degree programme and examination regulations for further information.
Bachelor’s students who have not yet completed their degree programme can apply for degree programmes at the School of Business, Economics and Society once they have completed modules worth a minimum of 135 ECTS credits if the standard duration of studies for the Bachelor’s degree programme is six semesters. If the standard duration of studies is more than six semesters, the minimum number of credits that must have been obtained in completed modules changes accordingly (162 ECTS credits for a standard duration of studies of seven semesters; 189 ECTS credits for a standard duration of studies of eight semesters).
Students may apply for the degree programme in Medical Process Management (MPM) once they have completed modules worth a minimum of 140 ECTS credits.
Students may apply for the degree programme in Molecular Medicine once they have completed modules worth a minimum of 150 ECTS credits.
- Students may apply for the degree programmes in Chemistry, Computational and Applied Mathematics/, Industrial Mathematics, Geosciences, Mathematics, Molecular Science and Economics and Mathematics once they have completed modules worth a minimum of 140 ECTS credits.
- Students may apply for the degree programmes in Integrated Life Sciences (ILS) and Cell and Molecular Biology once they have completed modules worth a minimum of 135 ECTS credits.
- Students must have completed modules worth a minimum of 150 ECTS credits to apply to the degree programmes in Cultural Geography and Physical Geography.
Students may apply for the degree programmes at the Faculty of Engineering once they have completed modules worth a minimum of 140 ECTS credits.
Master’s degree applications are submitted online via campo. After submitting your online application you must then send all required documents to the Master’s Office by post:
Referat L4 – Masterbüro
In addition to the documents that must be sent by post, some Master’s degree programmes require documents to be uploaded during the online application process.
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- English Studies
- Health Management and Health Economics
- Information and Communication Technology
- Integrated Immunology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Materials Physics
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Medical engineering
- Molecular Science
- Chinese Studies
- Industrial Engineering and Management
Other degree programmes do not require documents to be uploaded.
Step by step
- Once you have filled out your full application at campo, go to the upload area in the ‘Studienbewerbung’ (degree programme application) menu.
- Click on ‘Upload-Bereich hinzufügen’ (add upload area) to open a new window where you can select the type of document to be uploaded and then select the file you wish to upload.
- Click on ‘Neues Dokument anlegen’ (add new document) and then ‘Durchsuchen’ (search).
- This file will then be selected to be uploaded.
- Now click ‘Hochladen’ (upload). The uploaded document will appear under the relevant option in the menu.
Each page must be created and uploaded as a separate pdf file with a maximum size of 5000 KB (e.g. single page CV) unless the pages belong together (e.g. transcript of records with several pages).
Once you have filled out the full application and uploaded the pdf files, you can then submit your application including the uploaded files by clicking ‘Antrag senden’ (submit application).
Changing uploaded documents
In the upload area in the menu, you can check the documents which you have uploaded by clicking on the files. If you discover that you have uploaded the wrong file, to replace the file:
Click on ‘Zurück zur Übersicht’ (back to overview) and ‘Antrag bearbeiten’ (edit application) and edit your application as required. To do so please go to the ‘Studienbewerbung’ (degree programme application) and ‘Upload-Bereich’ (upload area) sections.
Please note that you can only edit your application if you have not yet submitted it to FAU online.
The online application is just the first stage of your Master’s degree programme application. Your Master’s degree programme application is only valid once you have printed and signed the pdf version of your online application and submitted it by post along with all required documents. You must adhere to the application deadline; the application must be received by FAU by the deadline and date on the post mark will not be considered. Please therefore ensure that you send your documents in time (for postal address see point 2).