Get off to a good start
There is a lot you need to know and organise for the first semester. Various institutions at FAU therefore offer introductory events to ensure that you have the best possible start. At these events, you will get the advice you need and answers to the most frequently asked questions.
The first-year students’ welcome event organised every winter semester, where you can get to know the individual student initiatives at their stands, is a fun event to start your studies.
The ‘Studienanfang leicht gemacht’ checklist for new students provided by our Student Advice and Career Service provides an initial overview and has useful tips to make sure you get off to a good start at FAU:
- Have you read through all the information sheets about your subject/degree programme at FAU?
- Have you carefully read all the information on the website of your degree programme/institute?
- Have you read the degree programme and examination regulations?
- Have you made a note of the dates of introductory events etc.?
- Have you looked at the course catalogue?
- Have you had a look around your institute? Have you located the notice board at your institute/department and read the notices? Have you got a copy of the ‘WERKsWeiser’ brochure from Student Services? (Available free of charge from Student Services and IBZ)
- Have you read the information about the FAUcard and activated your user account in Identity Management?
- University Library: Have you activated the library function of your FAUcard? Have you reserved a space on the library training course?
- Have you set up internet access via the Erlangen Regional Computing Centre (RRZE) and activated your user ID?
- If you have moved: have you put your name on your letterbox at your new address? Have you notified the Student Records Office about your semester address or a change of address (if applicable) via ‘mein campus’?Have you registered your main address at the residents’ registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt) at the town hall?
- Have you made a note of the deadline for re-registration for the next semester (February/July)?
- Have you downloaded the FAU app?