Introducing North American Literary Studies
Time and place
- Do 12:15-13:45, Room KH 2.019 .ics: Termin Do 12:15-13:45 in den Kalender importieren
Die VL North American Literary Studies kann wie folgt verwendet werden:
- L-GYM Englisch: "Optionsmodul L-GYM Literature" (Zulassungsvoraussetzung: Zwischenmodul Literature)
- BA English and American Studies: "Hauptmodul B Literature" (ausgenommen Studienrichtung American Studies)
- MA North American Studies Mastermodul 2: "Grundlagenmodul Literary Studies": VL plus Kurs
- MA English Studies: "Freie Ergänzungsstudien/Wild Card": plus Kurs
- MA Ethik der Textkulturen: M2, M3
The module closes with a 20 minutes oral exam on Thursday, February, 17 (and possibly Wednesday, February, 16).
This lecture gives an overview of the development of literary studies in the US from the middle of the nineteenth century to the present. The lecture outlines the changes in the understanding of American literature and the function of literary studies. It also gives an advanced introduction to literary theory. We will start with attempts to define the special character of American literature; subsequently, we will discuss theoretical approaches such as New Criticism, structuralism, poststructuralism, African American literary criticism, and postcolonial criticism. The lecture is supplemented by an Übung in which students are offered the opportunity to discuss a broad range of texts from the history of North American poetics and literary studies.