Services and advice at the Central Office for International Affairs
The Central Office for International Affairs
The Central Office for International Affairs (Referat für Internationale Angelegenheiten, RIA) is the University’s main contact point for all questions regarding international studying, teaching and mobility. We see ourselves as co-ordinators, initiators and contact persons for all of the University’s international activities, and as such we work closely with the Executive Board and FAU’s five faculties.
We offer a wide range of support services for all our target groups, and we always aim to optimise these services. Every two weeks, we offer an information event during which we introduce FAU students to the various options for studying abroad. For international students, we organise orientation courses, culture and film nights, intercultural courses and job application training; furthermore, we match them up with German buddies – meaning German students who support them in daily life. We also organise workshops, opportunities to meet socially and an exciting cultural programme for international doctoral candidates and researchers. Their accompanying family members also receive comprehensive support.
During our annual international staff week, we welcome about 30 international guests and give them in-depth insight into FAU’s character and the region.
We organise further training courses for FAU’s chairs and institutes to assist them in giving the best possible support to international guest researchers and in maintaining international contacts.
We create the legal basis for international collaboration and acquire and administer funds for international activities (travel, projects, scholarships). We work together with the Executive Board on the implementation of FAU’s internationalisation strategy.
We closely collaborate with
- the FAU Executive Board
- FAU teaching staff
- the University Administration
- the international offices of the individual faculties
- the Association for Promoting Internationalisation at the University of Erlangen-Nürnberg (Förderverein zur Internationalisierung der Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg)
- the cities of Erlangen, Nuremberg and Fürth
- external organisations such as the Bavarian University Centre for Latin America (BAYLAT)
We support and advise the following target groups:
- International guests at FAU: Students aiming for a German university degree who successfully apply for and are admitted to one of our more than 150 degree programmes
- Exchange students spending one or two semesters at FAU as part of a university partnership agreement who want to take advantage of the high-quality teaching at our University
- Students enrolled at a foreign university doing a placement at FAU, participating in a student research project or writing a final paper or thesis here
- Internationally mobile lecturers and researchers from abroad doing either part of a doctoral degree programme or a full doctoral degree programme at FAU, working as postdoctoral researchers at FAU or carrying out high-quality research together with FAU colleagues
- Visitors from abroad: Presidents, lecturers and staff from foreign universities; delegations from partner cities as well as high-ranking government representatives working together with FAU and the region
- FAU members going abroad or working together with partners from abroad: FAU students who want to go abroad over the course of their studies, who do a placement abroad or who want to write their final paper or a research paper abroad; students who want to take part in an international summer school or who want to go abroad for other reasons relevant to their studies.
- Students of medicine who want to do internships abroad: We offer advice not only with regard to the many different options for exchanges but also for external programmes, especially regarding scholarships, some of which we administer and allocate ourselves.
- FAU lecturers and staff teaching at a foreign university or exchanging knowledge about their own field of activity with their international colleagues and receiving further training.
- Professors, researchers and faculties: We provide support in establishing new university co-operations, in forging and maintaining contacts with partner institutions, in international projects and in writing applications for German and international funding programmes. Furthermore, we support the FAU schools in creating double degree agreements with foreign universities or international degree programmes.
We are located in Erlangen, from where we work in close collaboration with our partners in Nuremberg and Fürth.