Applying for Bachelor's and State Examination degree programmes
Prospective international students have to apply directly to the university where they want to study. This applies to all degree programmes with only some exceptions. This section sets out the various application procedures and what documents you are required to hand in:
For the degree programmes medicine, dentistry and pharmacy, please apply to the Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung (Foundation for University Admissions, german) if you are
- a citizen of a member state of the European Union (EU)
- a citizen of a member state of the European Economic Area (EEA: Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway)
- an applicant with a university entrance qualification obtained in Germany or at a German school abroad
- an international applicant living in Germany with relatives who are EU/EEA citizens and work in Germany (e.g. spouse or parents)
If you do not belong to one of the groups mentioned above, you have to apply directly to FAU, using our online application portal “campo”. This applies to all of our undergraduate degree programmes, German language courses, the Studienkolleg, as well as most of our Master’s degree programmes.
For the following Bachelor’s degree programmes, however, you need to first register at www.hochschulstart.de before applying to FAU as part of the dialogue-orientated procedure (Dialogorientiertes Serviceverfahren, DoSV) of the Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung:
- International Business Studies (B.A.)
- International Production Engineering and Management (B.Sc.)
- Molekulare Medizin (B.Sc.)
- Psychologie (B.Sc.)
- Wirtschaftswissenschaften (B.A.)
Following the online-application, you need to send your signed application form (from the application portal campo) by post in addition to the following documents:
- CV (without photo)
- school leaving certificate (complete certificate)
- if applicable: pre-university year certificate (e.g. applicants from Iran)
- if applicable: university entrance examination certificate from your home country
- if applicable: if your school certificates are not sufficient for admission, you must also provide a certificate showing you have passed the assessment examination (Feststellungsprüfung) for the degree programme in question (certified copy)
- if you have completed previous periods of study: complete academic report/transcript of records
- if you have completed a previous degree: degree certificate (e.g. Bachelor’s degree, Diplom)
- German language certificates (regular copy)
- if you are applying for the Studienkolleg: preliminary review documentation from uni-assist (regular copy). The Studienkolleg for all Bavarian universities is in Munich. If you wish to apply to attend a Studienkolleg before starting at FAU, you will be referred to the one in Munich.
- if available: preliminary review documentation from uni-assist (regular copy)
- applicants who have completed previous periods of study in China, Mongolia or Vietnam: APS certificate (original)
- applicants from DSDI/DSDII schools in China: confirmation of identity from the German embassy (original)
- applicants for the degree programmes in Medicine, Law and Dentistry, Pharmacy or Food Chemistry must submit proof of passing the Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber (DSH 2 or an equivalent examination). Further information on language requirements.
Certified copies of foreign certificates that are not issued in German, English or French must be submitted along with a certified translation. If your documents do not fulfil the requirements or if important certificates are missing, your application will not be processed. More information on certification of documents.
Please send your application form together with all the required documents to the FAU Admissions Office (Zulassungsstelle):
Zulassungsstelle der Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
The application deadlines for Bachelor’s and State Examination degree programmes as well as German language courses and applications to the Studienkolleg are:
- 15 July for the following winter semester
- 15 January for the following summer semester
The application deadlines for our Master’s Degree programmes may vary considerably. For more information please visit our website “Submitting your Master’s degree application”.
The majority of subjects can only be started in the winter semester; this means that you may only enrol for the summer semester if you wish to start in a higher subject semester.
Registered refugees, who want to apply for a degree programme at FAU, first need to submit a request for preliminary check documentation (“Vorprüfungsdokumentation”, VPD) of their foreign educational qualification certificate to uni-assist e.V. If the TestAS certificate or a certificate of FAU that recommends the verification at uni-assist is attached to the request, the VPD is at no charge.
As soon as the result of the VPD is available, you may apply for your desired degree programme within the official deadlines.
Detailed information on the VPD is available at https://www.uni-assist.de/assessment-procedure.html and http://www.uni-assist.de/vpd-procedure.html.
All of our undergraduate and most of our Master’s degree programmes require a sufficient knowledge of the German language. For more detailed information please refer to our website “German language courses, German language skills and certificates”.
You must submit all required documents in order for us to process your application. This means that applications must not be submitted, for instance, without certificates and supporting documents.