Electronics, Analytics and Digital Transformation
By now, digital transformation has reached all sectors of human society. With highly visible main research areas, FAU fully covers this field by addressing scientific and engineering conditions as well as various applications. Digitization starts with basic hardware created by modern electronics. Electronic components, sensors, switching technology as well as signal processing and transfer are parts of this key research priority at FAU. With more than 1,000 researchers, the High Performance Center for electronic systems – a joint initiative of FAU and the Fraunhofer Gesellschaft – stands as a nationwide beacon. In addition, research in the field of information technology brings forth new forms of communication, e.g. state-of-the-art audio and video coding (Home of MP3), or Big Data Analytics.
The field of Modeling and Simulation covers the research on numerical tools for data analytics and the definition of complex system. The aforementioned basics of information technology are used in the development of innovative models and algorithms. The Central Institute for Scientific Computing (Zentralinstitut für Scientific Computing, ZISC) pools the methodological bases as well as the widespread application through all disciplines.
All five faculties of FAU are actively researching on scientific applications of numerical modeling and simulation, e.g. process simulation at the Faculty of Engineering simulation-aided diagnostics at the Faculty of Medicine, electronic structure computations at the Faculty of sciences, optimization of logistic processes and market designs at the Faculty of Business, Economics, and Law, as well as forecast research in cultural studies at the Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Theology. Modeling and data analytics are a main research field within the Cluster of Excellence Engineering of Advanced Materials (EAM) at the Energy Campus in Nuremberg (EnCN), the association for Digital Health (VdigG) and in pattern recognition applied in sports science or diagnostic research.
The digitization of our society in industry, communication and the personal environment is the field of work and research. Examples include social media as well as the change of social and spatial conditions, which can be examined by digital geography. Networks such as the IZ Digital or the Center for Management, Technology & Society allow for interdisciplinary research.
- DFG SFB/TRR 89: Invasive Computing (InvasIC)
- DFG CRC/TRR 154: Mathematical Modelling, Simulation and Optimization using the Example of Gas Networks
- DFG PP 1253: Optimization with Partial Differential Equations
- Sub-Projects of the CRCs 814, 953 as well as CRC/TRR 73, 103
- Joint projects of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research SMARTE Dienstleistungs-Fabrik (SmartDiF) and Klinische Datenintelligenz (KDI)
- Center for Management, Technology & Society (CMTS)
- Interdisciplinary Centre for Embedded Systems (ESI)
- Interdisciplinary Centre for Digital Arts and Social Sciences (IZ Digital)
- Central Institute for Scientific Computing (ZISC)
- High Performance Center for electronic systems of FAU and Fraunhofer (LZE)
- International Audio Laboratories Erlangen (AudioLabs)
- ZD.B Platforms, especially Digital Mobility, Digital Health und Digital Production
- ZOLLHOF – Center for Digital Start-ups