Medical Engineering encompasses the development of methods, technical devices and materials for the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases. The aims are to increase life expectancy, improve quality of life and optimize cost structures in the healthcare sector. Researchers from FAU’s Faculty of Engineering are making fundamental contributions to medical imaging, telemedicine, biomaterials, robotics, therapeutic systems and basic research in biomedicine. FAU’s close collaboration with Siemens Healthcare, the Fraunhofer Innovation Cluster ‘Personal Health’ and numerous companies in the Nuremberg Metropolitan Region that are affiliated with the high-tech cluster Medical Valley provide an excellent environment for research in the field of health technology and medical engineering.
Medical technology specialists are highly sought-after by companies and research institutes, which is why the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg offers a three-year bachelors and two-year master’s program in medical engineering. This program offers in-depth engineering training, capitalizing on the strong regional health care industry as well as offering interdisciplinary collaborations with clinicians and researchers at the University Clinics Erlangen. The international standing of our medical engineering program is underscored by collaborations and student exchange programs with leading universities worldwide.
- Erlangen Graduate School in Advanced Optical Technologies (SAOT)
- Interdisciplinary Centre for Clinical Research (IZKF): Medicine and Physics Junior Research Group
- Central Institute of Healthcare Engineering (ZiMT)
- Centre for Medical Physics and Technology
- Emerging Fields Initiative: Integrative ‚Big Data Modeling‘ for the development of novel therapeutic approaches for breast cancer (BIG-THERA)
- Emerging Fields Initiative: Modular composite Joint 3D (MoJo 3D)
- Emerging Fields Initiative: Individualized Diagnostics and Therapy Monitoring in Motion (EFIMoves)
- Emerging Fields Initiative: Advanced Optical Laser Technologies for Life Sciences and personalized Medicine (ADVENDO-LIFE)
- European Institute of Innovation and Technology EIT Health
- Medical Valley EMN e.V.
- Medical Technology Test and Application Centre (METEAN) run by Fraunhofer IIS, UKER and FAU
- Max Planck Institute for the Science of Light
- Cooperation with Siemens Healthcare
- Innovation Cluster Personal Health with Fraunhofer IIS
- Else Kröner-Fresenius Endowed Professorship Section of Experimental Oncology and Nanomedicine