Optics and Optical Technologies
The 21st century has been hailed as the century of the photon. Optical technologies, also called photonics, are considered as a key technological area for energy, industry and medicine in the decades to come. Fundamental research in classical optics and in quantum optics forms the essential basis. The resulting success of basic research is demonstrated by the extent of third party projects funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) and the Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF). Central facilities like the “Optical Imaging Centre Erlangen” support interdisciplinary networking within the university and also offer unique opportunities nationwide.
Beyond fundamental research, the key research priority Optics and Optical Technologies also opens up new opportunities in teaching and promoting young researchers with the Master’s degree programme “Advanced Optical Technologies” and the “Erlangen Graduate School in Advanced Optical Technologies”. The visibility and scientific impact of this key research priority is further strengthened by facilities like the “Max Planck Institute for the Science of Light”. Thanks to successful collaborations with the Fraunhofer institutes and Bayerisches Laserzentrum GmbH, research findings and networking opportunities are integrated into this key research priority.
Optics and optical technologies are a pivotal focus in FAU’s research profile. Current research includes modern imaging modalities, quantum optics, non-linear optics, laser based additive manufacturing technologies, optical measuring technology for combustion processes and nanomaterials, photonic crystal fibres, computational optics and optics and photonics in medicine.
- Cluster of Excellence Engineering of Advanced Materials (EAM)
- Excellence Graduate School in Advanced Optical Technologies (SAOT)
- DFG CRC 814: Additive Manufacturing
- DFG CRC 953: Synthetic Carbon Allotropes
- Master’s degree programme in Advanced Optical Technologies
- Optical Imaging Centre Erlangen (OICE)
- Emerging Fields Initiative: Advanced Optical Laser Technologies for Life Sciences and personalized Medicine (ADVENDO-LIFE)
- Next Generation Tools: Generative manufacturing processes in tool and mould design and cunstruction (ForNextGen)
- Bayerisches Laserzentrum GmbH (blz)
- Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits (IIS)
- Foundation of the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Light on FAU’s initiative
- International project ACHIP: Accelerators on a chip