Application and admission
Approximately five months prior to the intended start of your studies, you should submit your application for admission to FAU’s Central Office for International Affairs (RIA) if you will be coming to FAU as part of one of the following programmes:
DAAD, KAAD, Erasmus+, direct exchange programme, Robert-Bosch-Stiftung, Diakonisches Werk, Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, Rotary Club, PÉÉ, Hanns-Seidel-Stiftung, Scholarships from partner universities, Scholarships from public and private foundations, Bavarian State Ministry of Sciences, Research and the Arts
This application must be submitted online. You will be sent a link to the application via e-mail after we have received the nomination from your home university or your scholarship organisation. Nomination by the home university does not automatically qualify students for a place at FAU. Admission is only granted after the FAU subject co-ordinators have assessed the application documents.
Deadlines for online applications at FAU:
- 15 May for the following winter semester
- 15 November for the following summer semester
The following documents must be submitted along with the application for admission:
- evidence of one or two years studying a degree programme in your home country (transcript of records). Copies are sufficient, original documents are not required. A translation in German or English must be submitted if the certificate is not in German or English.
- certificate of enrolment from your home university
- proof of German language proficiency (e.g. letter from a German teacher) – please ask your university which level is required
- Erasmus students and students with no knowledge of German only: proof of English language proficiency (e.g. letter from an English teacher) – please ask your university which level is required
- confirmation from your home university or scholarship foundation of nomination as an exchange student or student participating in an exchange programme
- current photograph
- application form for help finding accommodation for exchange programmes at FAU
Students who are coming to FAU to finish a final thesis and will, for example, be conducting research in laboratories rather than attending seminars or lectures, must submit confirmation of supervision from an FAU professor to the Central Office for International Affairs along with their application. You can find the template for confirmation of supervision here: Betreuungszusage für Austauschprogramme an der FAU (in German)(confirmation of supervision form for exchange programmes at FAU) .
Applicants are notified in writing whether their application to FAU was successful as soon as possible after the end of the application period. The admissions letter contains information on the enrolment process (place, dates). The admissions letter must be kept safely, as it is essential for applying for a visa and must be presented at enrolment. Exchange students or students participating in an exchange programme may only be admitted for one or two semesters.
Applicants may only be admitted in subjects included in the agreement between FAU and their home universities. However, exchange students may attend other courses and receive credits for them.