Links zu weiteren Portalen

Seiteninterne Suche

University

Medical Collection

FAU’s Medical Collection

Objects in the Medical Collection shortly after they were moved to a new location (image: Georg Pöhlein)

Objects in the Medical Collection shortly after they were moved to a new location (image: Georg Pöhlein)

The Medical Collection is FAU’s newest collection. It was established in 2000 at the initiative of the Chair of the History of Medicine. Its aim is to document the history of university medicine in Erlangen with an archive of objects. It includes equipment used for teaching, research and patient care at the Faculty of Medicine and the clinical departments. Donations of objects from doctors working in the region and their patients are also accepted into the collection. Focusing on objects from the region ensures that the individual history of each artefact can be recorded in detail when it is received. The emphasis is on information regarding the history of how an object was used rather than its technical properties or the condition that it is in. New donations are gladly accepted.

The Medical Collection currently has over 1000 objects, most of which date from the second half of the 20th century, and covers almost all areas of medicine. Its inventory is available for use for teaching purposes, medical research and exhibitions.

Go to collection website (in German)

Address

Lehrstuhl für Geschichte und Ethik der Medizin
Glücksstraße 10
91054 Erlangen

Contact

PD Dr. Fritz Dross
fritz.dross@fau.de or sammlung@gesch.med.uni-erlangen.de
+49 9131 8526433

Tours available upon request