FAU Career Tracks
Integrated appointment and career development at FAU
Integrated appointment and career development is not just aimed at recruiting and retaining professors but includes career development options through FAU Career Tracks which are aligned with the general professional career pathways that are available at German universities. This approach is based on the most stringent international standards as well as documented, transparent performance criteria and clearly defined career options.
At FAU there are three parallel, quality-assured tracks that are equivalent in terms of prospects for appointment and career development – these are known as the FAU Career Tracks. These three career tracks provide for the professional development of all academics at FAU and are intended to facilitate the careers of the next generation of academics and the appointment and continuing development of professors. FAU Career Tracks guide researchers towards a career option that suits them perfectly.
- Two EAM Awards (W2), six Rising Star junior professorships (W1) and an Industrial Liaison junior professor (W1) within the Engineering of Advanced Materials Excellence Cluster
- Tenure Track professorships (W1 and W2) are defined as ‘Open Topic Tenure Track’ professorships in connection with the key research priorities of FAU.
- Research-orientated cooperative degree programme with local partners (e.g. Siemens)
- Coordinated doctoral programmes (e.g. ini.FAU with Audi, SHARE at FAU with Schaeffler, GradAB with IAB)
- The cooperative career programme Erlangen-Nuremberg Excellence Track (ENET) at the Leistungszentrum Elektroniksysteme (LZE) in cooperation with Fraunhofer and Siemens
- Joint appointments in collaboration with non-university research institutions, such as the Helmholtz, Fraunhofer and Max-Planck institutes