Application and enrolment

How to get a place at FAU

International applicants

Prospective international students have to apply directly to the university where they want to study. This applies to all degree programmes with only some exceptions. This section sets out the various application procedures and what documents you are required to hand in:

For the degree programmes medicine, dentistry and pharmacy, please apply to the Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung (Foundation for University Admissions, german) if you are

  • a citizen of a member state of the European Union (EU)
  • a citizen of a member state of the European Economic Area (EEA: Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway)
  • an applicant with a university entrance qualification obtained in Germany or at a German school abroad
  • an international applicant living in Germany with relatives who are EU/EEA citizens and work in Germany (e.g. spouse or parents)

The Student Advice and Career Service provides information about the degree programmes and admission restrictions at FAU in the degree programme catalogue.

If you do not belong to one of the groups mentioned above, you have to apply directly to FAU, using our online application portal “campo”. This applies to all of our undergraduate degree programmes, German language courses, the Studienkolleg, as well as most of our Master’s degree programmes.

For the following Bachelor’s degree programmes, however, you need to first register at before applying to FAU as part of the dialogue-orientated procedure (Dialogorientiertes Serviceverfahren, DoSV) of the Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung:

  • International Business Studies (B.A.)
  • Molekulare Medizin (B.Sc.)
  • Psychologie (full and part time, B.Sc.)
  • Wirtschaftswissenschaften (B.A.)

More information on the DoSV is available at (in German) and in our DoSV check list (in German).

All information on applications for Master’s degree programmes is available at Education on the page Applying for Master’s degree programmes.

For most subjects, it is only possible to start a degree programme in the winter semester.

Following the online-application, you need to send your signed application form (from the application portal campo) by post in addition to the following documents:

  • CV (without photo)
  • school leaving certificate (complete certificate)
  • if applicable: pre-university year certificate (e.g. applicants from Iran)
  • if applicable: university entrance examination certificate from your home country
  • if applicable: if your school certificates are not sufficient for admission, you must also provide a certificate showing you have passed the assessment examination (Feststellungsprüfung) for the degree programme in question (certified copy)
  • if you have completed previous periods of study: complete academic report/transcript of records
  • if you have completed a previous degree: degree certificate (e.g. Bachelor’s degree, Diplom)
  • German language certificates (regular copy)
  • if you are applying for the Studienkolleg: preliminary review documentation from uni-assist (regular copy). The Studienkolleg for all Bavarian universities is in Munich. If you wish to apply to attend a Studienkolleg before starting at FAU, you will be referred to the one in Munich.
  • applicants who have completed previous periods of study in China, Mongolia or Vietnam: APS certificate (original)
  • applicants from DSDI/DSDII schools in China: confirmation of identity from the German embassy (original)
  • applicants for the degree programmes in Medicine, Law and Dentistry, Pharmacy or Food Chemistry must submit proof of passing the Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber (DSH 2 or an equivalent examination). Further information on language requirements.
  • Applicants for degree programmes in Medicine, Dentistry or Pharmacy must submit the original notification from a German Office for the Recognition of Certificates (Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle) confirming that their certificate has been officially recognised. Students who do not have an official letter confirming recognition of their certificates may only enrol by submitting the original certificate together with a translation. In this case, students will be enrolled initially for only one semester. Official confirmation that the certificates have been recognised must be submitted during this time. Only then can students continue to study as planned.
  • We cannot provide you with any information about your chances for admission for degree programmes in medicine, medicine in Erlangen-Nuremberg/Bayreuth and dentistry. However, only applicants with excellent grades have a real chance of admission to these degree programmes.
  • Applicants who have passed the external assessment examination must register online via for degree programmes without admission restrictions by the following dates: 15 July for the winter semester, 15 January for the summer semester. Application by post is no longer required. If all other preconditions are met, these applicants can enrol directly for degree programmes without admission restrictions, however, their application for admission must first be activated via the Admissions Office. To activate your application for admission, send your applicant number via e-mail to the Admissions Office.
  • Applicants who have passed the assessment examination can enrol directly for degree programmes without admission restrictions if all other requirements are met. Exception: For degree programmes that require a qualification assessment process (Eignungsfeststellungsverfahren, EFV), an admissions notification is required, which involves sending an application to the Admissions Office before the relevant deadline.

Certified copies of foreign certificates that are not issued in German, English or French must be submitted along with a certified translation. If your documents do not fulfil the requirements or if important certificates are missing, your application will not be processed. More information on certification of documents.

Please send your application form together with all the required documents to the FAU Admissions Office (Zulassungsstelle):

Postal address:

Zulassungsstelle der Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
Schlossplatz 4
91054 Erlangen

The application deadlines for Bachelor’s and State Examination degree programmes as well as German language courses and applications to the Studienkolleg are:

  • 15 July for the following winter semester
  • 15 January for the following summer semester

The application deadlines for our Master’s Degree programmes may vary considerably. For more information please visit our website “Submitting your Master’s degree application”.

The majority of subjects can only be started in the winter semester; this means that you may only enrol for the summer semester if you wish to start in a higher subject semester.

All of our undergraduate and most of our Master’s degree programmes require a sufficient knowledge of the German language. For more detailed information please refer to our website “German language courses, German language skills and certificates”.

You must submit all required documents in order for us to process your application. This means that applications must not be submitted, for instance, without certificates and supporting documents.

Graduates of German schools abroad

Graduates of German schools abroad who want to start a degree programme at FAU receive particular support. The application procedure is based on the school-leaving qualification obtained.

Applying for a place at FAU

If you have obtained the German general higher education entrance qualification Abitur you are entitled to start a degree programme at any German university, irrespective of your nationality.

You have the same status as an applicant with a university entrance qualification obtained in Germany. This means that you can apply to and enrol at FAU just like any German prospective student.

Detailed information: Application and enrolment

If you have obtained a non-German school-leaving qualification at a German school or partner school in your home country or if you have obtained the International Baccalaureate and the Deutsches Sprachdiplom DSD II you can apply for a degree programme at FAU via the application procedure for applicants with a non-German university entrance qualification.

Detailed information: Applying with an international qualification

Advice and support for applications from graduates of German schools abroad

FAU is part of the Bavarian support initiative for German schools abroad and partner schools abroad (Bayerische Betreuungsinitiative Deutsche Auslands- und Partnerschulen – BayBIDS).

As part of this initiative, we visit German schools abroad to introduce pupils there to the University. We also organise and support visits to FAU for pupils of German schools abroad.


Kerstin Seitz, Dipl.-Germ.

  • Address:
    Schloßplatz 3, Ecke Halbmondstr. 6
    91054 Erlangen
  • Phone number: +49 9131 85-24876
  • Email:

School leavers who apply for a degree programme at FAU can also apply for a one-year scholarship in the amount of 300 euros per month.

More information on these support programmes is available on the BayBiDS website: