International qualifications

University entrance qualifications and assessment examinations

The secondary education qualification from your school in your home country does not necessarily entitle you to study at a German university. In many cases, international applicants have to take an assessment examination (Feststellungsprüfung) before they are admitted to the degree programme. In order to be admitted to a Studienkolleg (preparatory college) you must provide proof of German language proficiency of at least level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

Some degree programmes require you to have achieved a certain minimum grade in your secondary education qualification in order to be admitted. Some international qualifications may only entitle you to study a particular subject or closely-related subjects. International university entrance qualifications are usually assessed by the University’s Admissions Office based on the evaluation guidelines of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (Kultusministerkonferenz).

You can find a reliable assessment of the status of your secondary education qualification in the database of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs which contains advice on which international qualifications are recognised. You can assess your qualification yourself on the website of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). By stating your home country, and qualifications obtained there, and by answering some country-specific questions you can find out whether or not you are eligible to study in Germany.

Types of international qualifications:

These qualifications are recognised as direct university entrance qualifications. Quite often, direct admission to a degree programme is limited to particular subjects and is subject to a minimum grade. This is referred to as subject-specific eligibility for university admission.

Applicants with international secondary education qualifications which do not entitle them to direct entrance to a degree programme at a German university must take the ‘Prüfung zur Feststellung der Hochschulreife’ (examination to determine whether they are qualified to study at a German university). You can prepare for this examination by attending a one-year preparatory course, such as at Studienkolleg München. You cannot take the assessment examination (Feststellungsprüfung) without first attending the preparatory course at Studienkolleg München. In order to be admitted to the Studienkolleg, you must provide proof of German language proficiency of at least level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Admission to the Studienkolleg and to the assessment examination is granted by the university where you would subsequently like to do your degree programme. If you pass the assessment examination you have also obtained the subject-specific university entrance qualification (fachgebundene Hochschulreife).

Exception: If you already have an international secondary education qualification from this group and if you have successfully completed one or two years at a university, you are often not required to take the assessment examination, and can apply directly to us for subject-related degree programmes.

FAU does not have its own Studienkolleg; the Studienkolleg for all Bavarian universities is in Munich. If you wish to apply to attend a Studienkolleg before starting at FAU, you will be referred to the Studienkolleg in Munich. You can apply via the portal Please submit a signed print-out of the application for admission together with the relevant documents and proof of language proficiency at level B2 CEFR  to the FAU Admissions Office by the submission deadlines (15 July (for the winter semester) or 15 January (for the summer semester)).

You must pass the admissions test at the Studienkolleg to be admitted to your chosen course (depends on the subject which you wish to study at FAU).

After passing the assessment examination, you will have to apply for a place on the degree programme at the University.

To be admitted to a Master’s degree programme you must have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in addition to your secondary education qualification. For detailed information, please visit Application for Master’s degree programmes.