Submitting your Master's degree application
- Applications for the winter semester 2017/18 can be made online via campo.
- Please apply for the Master’s degree programme in Advanced Materials and Processes via MAP website first.
- Please apply for the Master’s degree programme in Computational engineering via the CE website first.
- Applications for the Master’s degree programme in Psychology may only be made for the first and third semester in the winter semester. An application with all required documents for the Master’s degree programme in Psychology must be submitted to FAU by 1 August 2017. The final submission deadline for Bachelor’s degree certificate is 15 September 2017 if the applicant does not already have the certificate at the time of applying for the first semester of the Master’s degree programme.
Information on applications
To be admitted to a Master’s degree programme you must have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent. Before applying, please read the current information on Master’s degree programmes at FAU. A separate list of all international degree programmes and degree programmes taught in English is provided.
If you want to apply for one of our Master’s degree programmes the most important information regarding the application procedure in general, special admission requirements, application deadlines and admissions examinations for individual degree programmes is available here:
- Application deadlines and language proficiency for Master’s degree programmes
- Supporting documents for applications for Master degree programmes at FAU
If you are required to complete a German language course before starting a degree programme that is taught in German, you must first apply for this via the application portal campo (from Thursday, 4. May 2017). You must then send all required documents to the Master’s Office by post.
Referat L4 – Masterbüro
The application process
You can only apply for a Master’s degree programme at FAU if you have completed or will soon complete an undergraduate degree (e.g. Bachelor’s degree) at a public or state-approved university that qualifies you to progress to Master’s study.
It is possible to start a Master’s degree programme before completing your undergraduate degree if you meet certain minimum requirements. You must present your undergraduate degree certificate within one year of starting your Master’s degree programme. If you are unable to do so, you will not be able to continue with the Master’s degree programme. Applicants with non-German Bachelor’s degrees must present their Bachelor’s degree certificate before enrolling.
In addition, Diplom students must be close to completing their degree programme.
Individual degree programmes that make use of this rule have different requirements. If you are unsure of which requirements apply, please contact the degree programme co-ordinator. The following list provides an overview of the different regulations at each of the faculties with regard to the minimum requirements for applications:
Applicants for Master’s degree programmes at the Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Theology who have not yet obtained their undergraduate degree but have completed modules worth a sufficient number of ECTS credits must attach an explanation of why they are applying for admission on the basis of the minimum requirements. Please contact the co-ordinator of the Master’s degree programme you are applying for to find out what the minimum requirements are.
Bachelor’s students who have not yet completed their degree programme can apply for degree programmes at the School of Business and Economics once they have completed modules worth a minimum of 135 ECTS credits if the standard duration of studies for the Bachelor’s degree programme is six semesters. If the standard duration of studies is more than six semesters, the minimum number of credits that must have been obtained in completed modules changes accordingly (162 ECTS credits for a standard duration of studies of seven semesters; 189 ECTS credits for a standard duration of studies of eight semesters).
Students may apply for the degree programme in Medical Process Management (MPM) once they have completed modules worth a minimum of 140 ECTS credits.
Students may apply for the degree programme in Molecular Medicine once they have completed modules worth a minimum of 150 ECTS credits.
- Students may apply for the degree programmes in Chemistry, Computational and Applied Mathematics/, Industrial Mathematics, Geosciences, Mathematics, Molecular Science and Economics and Mathematics once they have completed modules worth a minimum of 140 ECTS credits.
- Students may apply for the degree programmes in Integrated Life Sciences (ILS) and Cell and Molecular Biology once they have completed modules worth a minimum of 135 ECTS credits.
- Students must have completed modules worth a minimum of 150 ECTS credits to apply to the degree programmes in Cultural Geography and Physical Geography.
Students may apply for the degree programmes at the Faculty of Engineering once they have completed modules worth a minimum of 140 ECTS credits.
Master’s degree applications are submitted online via campo. The next application period begins on 4 May 2017 and is for the winter semester 2017/18. After submitting your online application you must then send all required documents to the Master’s Office by post:
Referat L4 – Masterbüro
In addition to the documents that must be sent by post, some Master’s degree programmes require documents to be uploaded during the online application process.
Documents must be uploaded during the online application process for the following Master’s degree programmes:
- English Studies
- Health Management and Health Economics
- Information and Communication Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Materials Physics
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Medical engineering
- Molecular Science
- Chinese Studies
- Industrial Engineering and Management
Other degree programmes do not require documents to be uploaded.
Step by step
- Once you have filled out your full application at campo, go to the upload area in the ‘Studienbewerbung’ (degree programme application) menu.
- Click on ‘Upload-Bereich hinzufügen’ (add upload area) to open a new window where you can select the type of document to be uploaded and then select the file you wish to upload.
- Click on ‘Neues Dokument anlegen’ (add new document) and then ‘Durchsuchen’ (search).
- This file will then be selected to be uploaded.
- Now click ‘Hochladen’ (upload). The uploaded document will appear under the relevant option in the menu.
Each page must be created and uploaded as a separate pdf file with a maximum size of 5000 KB (e.g. single page CV) unless the pages belong together (e.g. transcript of records with several pages).
Once you have filled out the full application and uploaded the pdf files, you can then submit your application including the uploaded files by clicking ‘Antrag senden’ (submit application).
Changing uploaded documents
In the upload area in the menu, you can check the documents which you have uploaded by clicking on the files. If you discover that you have uploaded the wrong file, to replace the file:
Click on ‘Zurück zur Übersicht’ (back to overview) and ‘Antrag bearbeiten’ (edit application) and edit your application as required. To do so please go to the ‘Studienbewerbung’ (degree programme application) and ‘Upload-Bereich’ (upload area) sections.
Please note that you can only edit your application if you have not yet submitted it to FAU online.
The online application is just the first stage of your Master’s degree programme application. Your Master’s degree programme application is only valid once you have printed and signed the pdf version of your online application and submitted it by post along with all required documents. You must adhere to the application deadline; the application must be received by FAU by the deadline and date on the post mark will not be considered. Please therefore ensure that you send your documents in time (for postal address see point 2).