If you become ill, you are entitled to be treated by any physician, however not all treatments are free of charge. You should ask your doctor about any costs before receiving treatment. More information on health insurance is available at the German National Association for Student Affairs website.

If you are only planning a short stay in Germany as an exchange student without enrolment or to participate in a language course or Studienkolleg, you are not eligible for statutory health insurance. You will need to arrange for travel health insurance in your home country or register with a private health insurance company for the duration of your stay in Germany. If you have any queries, please contact the Central Office for International Affairs (RIA).