How to find a placement position

Unsolicited applications and applications for advertised positions

You are responsible for finding a supervisor for your practical or research stay. The Central Office for International Affairs (RIA) does not organise placement positions. You can send out unsolicited applications or apply for advertised positions.

Unsolicited applications

If you are interested in a subject which, for instance, a certain chair or institute deals with, the best thing to do is to contact the chair or institute directly and ask whether there are any placement positions available.

Your unsolicited application should contain the following information:

  • a brief description of yourself
  • your motivation – why you would like to do a placement on this subject or at this chair or institute
  • why you would like to do a placement in Germany

Your unsolicited application should not be longer than one A4 page.

Applications for advertised positions

Another way to find a placement position is to apply directly for an advertised position. This is quite a good option as many companies in the Erlangen/Nuremberg area advertise placement positions on a regular basis. There are also various databases you can consult to get information.

Please note that RIA can only help you if you want to do a placement at FAU. If you have found a position at an external company or an external research institute, its human resources department should be your point of contact.