Living in Erlangen, Nuremberg and the surrounding area

In addition to the new academic challenges they will encounter, finding suitable accommodation is another issue faced by new students before they start their degrees. The cities of Erlangen, Fürth and Nuremberg offer a very good standard of living and accommodation can be difficult to find, especially at the beginning of the semester. We therefore recommend that all students start looking for accommodation as soon as possible. If you are a little flexible and also look in the surrounding area, you will have a better chance of finding somewhere affordable to live. The region has an excellent public transport system, so you should not have any problems getting to your place of study.

Finding somewhere to live

FAU itself cannot assign you accommodation, but works very closely with Student Services Erlangen-Nürnberg. Your own initiative is required to find suitable accommodation. Since the market for accommodation can be very overstretched at times, ensure that you start looking for accommodation early (also from abroad) and apply for several different places.

The German National Association for Student Affairs (Deutsche Studentenwerk) offers lots of information and tips on finding accommodation. In addition, we have put together a few tips for making your search for accommodation easier.

You can start your search in the old-fashioned way by looking in newspapers. Accommodation is advertised on Wednesdays and Saturdays in the advertising section of local newspapers. A wider range of accommodation is advertised online. Please check whether the accommodation is being advertised by an estate agent or not and whether you will have to pay commission or not. At the University, you might find accommodation advertised on notice boards or you could hang up your own advert. Student Services has other sources.

Once you have found some accommodation, the next step is signing the rental contract. Please be aware that oral agreements made for a contractual relationship are legally binding in Germany! It is advisable to put any agreements made in writing as soon as possible. Make sure you read the contract carefully and only sign it once you have understood its contents. In Germany, it is common practice to pay a deposit of two or three months’ rent. In student accommodation, it is also possible that you will have to pay two or three months’ rent in advance. Please therefore ensure that you have enough funds to cover these costs before you apply for accommodation.

Agreements about deposits and periods of notice are binding.

The rental contract contains other provisions such as rules about separating rubbish, and service costs and how they are charged. Any house rules are also part of the rental contract. Landlords often require tenants to have private liability insurance that covers damage caused to third parties. We would strongly advise you to take out such insurance, even if it is not part of the rental agreement. You must submit a certificate of enrolment every semester if you are living in student accommodation.

Student Services in Erlangen provides a short overview of tenancy law.

Make sure a record is made of the condition (e.g. any damage) of your accommodation when you move in and when you move out so that you receive your deposit in full when you move out. You have 14 days after moving in to your accommodation to report any damage or faults to your landlord. You are responsible for any damage after this period. Ensure you leave your contact details in the record when you move out.

Please also make sure you register or de-register with the relevant authorities in the city when you move in or out of your accommodation.

Our 5 best tips for accommodation while studying

  1. Start your search early – at least three months before you arrive in Erlangen
  2. Take out private liability insurance
  3. Inform the landlord immediately of any damage
  4. Make sure you fulfil all the contract obligations (e.g. opening the windows regularly and heating properly to prevent mildew)
  5. Keep to deadlines and time limits such as cancelling the contract, paying the rent, extending the rental contract by semester, etc.

Information for international applicants

Additional information for international researchers and doctoral candidates is available on the Welcome Centre website.

Exchange and exchange programme students receive detailed information during the application process.

Before you arrive

A link to the accommodation application form will be included in your admissions letter.

Please send your completed and signed application form via e-mail to

  • You will be given general information about finding accommodation and help getting in contact with accommodation owners, planning and organising accommodation.
  • You will be placed on a waiting list. Each applicant will usually receive one offer of accommodation, depending on availability. If you receive an offer, you must decide whether or not you wish to accept it before the deadline stated. The final decision will then be made by the accommodation owner.
  • If you fail to reply before this deadline or decline the offer, someone else will take your place. If you wish to accept the offer, please contact the accommodation owner yourself to arrange formalities such as receiving and signing the contract. Take note of the information, payment information and deadlines that you receive via e-mail. Please also inform the Central Office for International Affairs (RIA) of your decision via e-mail at

During your stay

Please read the general tips on accommodation for all target groups above and the FAQ’s for international students provided by the German National Association for Student Affairs (Deutsches Studentenwerk).

If you have a place in student accommodation, please hand in your certificate of enrolment as soon as possible. For each semester that you stay in the accommodation, you must hand in your current certificate of enrolment without being requested to do so.