Information on the basic ticket, additional ticket and exemption
Student Services Erlangen-Nürnberg offer FAU students a semester ticket in collaboration with the local public transport company, VGN. The ticket consists of the following two parts:
- a basic ticket that all students must pay for
- an optional additional ticket
Basic semester ticket = 9 euro ticket
- The basic ticket becomes a 9 euro ticket and is therefore valid across Germany in June, July and August for local public transport services as well as for regional transport services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- This also means that the basic semester ticket is valid at any time of day during these three months in the VGN network.
- You must present your semester ticket, validated student ID/certificate of enrollment and ID card/passport as proof across Germany.
- The refund for three months of the basic ticket of 10.50 euros will be issued by reducing the price of the basic ticket in winter semester 2022/23 (the basic ticket costs 12.50 euros per month (75 euros for 6 months)).
- A refund of 103.50 euros for the additional ticket for the semester ticket will also be issued in July via the method of payment you used in your VGN customer account or by customer service centers of the companies that operate the ticket machines.
The fee for the basic ticket is 65.50 euros per semester and must be paid by all students when they enrol or re-register. This also applies to students who have been granted leave.
The basic ticket is valid in second class on all forms of transport approved by the network (S-Bahn, U-Bahn, tram, bus, Regionalbahn and Regionalexpress trains, as well as certain other local trains and additional services) in the entire VGN network from Monday to Friday between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. and all day on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays (official bank holidays in Bavaria that fall on week days, as well as 15 August). If there is an additional charge for special services, semester ticket holders must pay this charge like all other holders of VGN passes.
- Students pay the fee for the basic ticket along with their semester fees (winter semester 2022/23: 117.50 euros) and can download the ticket from the VGN online shop after they have enrolled or re-registered.
- The exact start and end dates for the six-month period for which it is valid are available on the VGN website (german): Basic ticket; Additional ticket
- No refunds will be available after the beginning of the semester; a refund of the semester fees will not be possible after the first date on which the basic ticket is valid.
Students may choose whether or not they wish to purchase the additional ticket. In conjunction with the basic ticket, the additional ticket is valid at any time on all forms of transport approved by the network (see information on basic ticket above) in the entire VGN network.
- winter semester 2021/22: 207 euros
- summer semester 2022: 207 euros
It can be purchased at Deutsche Bahn, VAG and infra Fürth ticket machines, and from ESTW and via the VGN online shop.
Free minutes for the VAG bike
Students who order their semester and additional ticket via the VAG NürnbergMOBIL app get 100 free minutes for using the VAG bike rental service. For further information, please refer to the VAG website.
The semester ticket is briefly explained in the following video (with the possibility of adding subtitles in English):
Exemption from the requirement to purchase the basic ticket
- Students with disabilities may apply for exemption from the requirement to purchase the mandatory basic ticket if they have a permit for free use of public transport (including the supplement and ticket from the office for family and social affairs).
- Students who are enrolled at more than one university (in accordance with Section 95 (2) of the Bavarian Higher Education Act) and are exempt from paying the Student Services fees may apply for exemption from the requirement to purchase the mandatory basic ticket.