Information on the basic ticket, additional ticket and exemption
Student Services Erlangen-Nürnberg offer FAU students a semester ticket in collaboration with the local public transport company, VGN. The ticket consists of the following two parts:
- a basic ticket that all students must pay for and
- an optional additional ticket
The fee for the basic ticket is 77 euros per semester and must be paid by all students when they enrol or re-register.
The basic ticket is valid in second class on all forms of transport approved by the network (S-Bahn, U-Bahn, tram, bus, Regionalbahn and Regionalexpress trains, as well as certain other local trains and additional services) in the entire VGN network from Monday to Thursday between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., Fridays between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. and all day on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays (official bank holidays in Bavaria that fall on week days, as well as 15 August). If there is an additional charge for special services, semester ticket holders must pay this charge like all other holders of VGN passes.
- Students pay the fee for the basic ticket along with their semester fees (summer semester 2023: 144 euros) and can download the ticket from the VGN online shop after they have enrolled or re-registered.
- The exact start and end dates for the six-month period for which it is valid are available on the VGN website (german): Basic ticket; Additional ticket
- No refunds will be available after the beginning of the semester; a refund of the semester fees will not be possible after the first date on which the basic ticket is valid.
Students may choose whether or not they wish to purchase the additional semester ticket. In conjunction with the basic ticket, the additional ticket is valid at any time on all forms of transport approved by the network (see information on basic ticket above) in the entire VGN network.
- summer semester 2023 222 euros
During the summer semester, the additional ticket will probably only be available in the VGN online shop in order to ensure the upgrade to the “Deutschlandticket” that will cost 49 euros.
As soon as the legal framework from the Federal and State governments allow, students will automatically receive the “Deutschlandticket” for 49 euros for the remaining validity period until the end of the summer semester in the VGN online shop. The ticket entitles the holder to travel across Germany on local and regional public transport services.
Free minutes for the VAG bike
Students who order their semester and additional ticket via the VAG NürnbergMOBIL app get 100 free minutes for using the VAG bike rental service. For further information, please refer to the VAG website.
The semester ticket is briefly explained in the following video (with the possibility of adding subtitles in English):
more semester ticket videos on youtube
Exemption from the requirement to purchase the basic ticket
- Students with disabilities may apply for exemption from the requirement to purchase the mandatory basic ticket if they have a permit for free use of public transport (including the supplement and ticket from the office for family and social affairs).
- Students who are enrolled at more than one university (in accordance with Section 95 (2) of the Bavarian Higher Education Act) and are exempt from paying the Student Services fees may apply for exemption from the requirement to purchase the mandatory basic ticket.