Winter semester 2023/24: 29 euro ticket
Due to the introduction of the “Deutschlandticket” or the “Bildungsticket” for students and trainees (29 euros per month), the semester ticket will no longer exist as of winter semester 2023/24. Therefore, the semester fee for re-registration for winter semester 2023/24 will be reduced to the Student Services’ contribution of 67 euros.Information on the 29 euro ticket at semesterticket.org (Stuve)
Information on the new “Bildungsticket” (29 euros) for winter semester 2023/24
In addition to the “Deutschlandticket” introduced in May, a discounted and exclusively digital version of the “Deutschlandticket” known as the “Bildungsticket” will be available as of winter semester to apprentices, students and those conducting voluntary service at a price of 29 euros per month.
The Bildungsticket is available to order from Monday September 11, and is valid from October 1, 2023. It can be ordered via the VAG subscription portal (Abo-Portal). Students have to select FAU as the educational institution, and are then taken automatically to the central registration service for FAU and can log in using their IdM username.
Information on the semester ticket for summer semester 2023
Student Services Erlangen-Nürnberg offer FAU students a semester ticket in collaboration with the local public transport company, VGN. The ticket consists of the following two parts:
- a basic ticket that all students must pay for and
- an optional additional ticket, which can be upgraded to the “Deutschlandticket” in summer semester 2023 using a voucher.
The fee for the basic ticket is per semester and must be paid by all students when they enroll or re-register.
The basic ticket is valid in second class on all forms of transport approved by the network (S-Bahn, U-Bahn, tram, bus, Regionalbahn and Regionalexpress trains, as well as certain other local trains and additional services) in the entire VGN network from Monday to Thursday between 6 pm and 6 am, on Fridays from 5 pm and all day on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays (official bank holidays in Bavaria that fall on week days, as well as August 15). If there is an additional charge for special services, semester ticket holders must pay this charge like all other holders of VGN passes.
- Students pay the fee for the basic ticket along with their semester fees and can download the ticket from the VGN online shop after they have enrolled or re-registered.
- Total semester fees (Student Services’ contribution + contribution for the basic public transport ticket) in 67 euros
- The exact start and end dates for the six-month period for which it is valid are available on the VGN website at vgn.de/semesterticket.
- No refunds will be available after the beginning of the semester; a refund of the semester fees will not be possible after the first date on which the basic ticket is valid.
In the summer semester, the additional ticket will only be available to purchase in the “VGN Fahrplan & Tickets” app or in the “NürnbergMOBIL” app. This will include a “Deutschlandticket” valid from May 1, 2023 that must be activated separately using a voucher. More information is available on the VGN website and the Students’ Representatives’ website.
You can find out more about the future of the semester ticket and the 49 euro ticket at info stands on the following dates:
- Tuesday, April 18, 2023 School of Business, Economics and Society, Cafeteria, from 11 am to 3 pm
- Wednesday, April 19, 2023 Langemarckplatz Erlangen, 10.45 am to 2.45 pm
- Thursday, April 20, 2023 Student restaurant at Erlangen Campus (South), 10.45 am to 2.45 pm
Free minutes for the VAG bike
Students who purchase the additional ticket via the “NürnbergMOBIL” app from VAG receive 100 free minutes for the VAG bike scheme. Students who redeem the voucher for the “Deutschlandticket” in the app in summer semester 2023 receive 3000 free minutes that are valid until the end of September. You can switch between apps for the “Deutschlandticket”, as the voucher can be redeemed in both apps.
A brief explanation of VGN’s semester ticket:
Exemption from the requirement to purchase the basic semester ticket
- Students with disabilities may apply for exemption from the requirement to purchase the mandatory basic ticket if they have a permit for free use of public transport (including the supplement and ticket from the office for family and social affairs).
- Students who are enrolled at more than one university (in accordance with Section 95 (2) of the Bavarian Higher Education Act) and are exempt from paying the Student Services fees may apply for exemption from the requirement to purchase the mandatory basic ticket.
- Students who are completing a semester or internship abroad may apply for exemption from the requirement to purchase the basic semester ticket.