DAAD-PROMOS scholarships at FAU
PROMOS programme for increasing the mobility of students at German universities
As part of the PROMOS mobility programme offered by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), FAU awards scholarships for financing a period spent abroad, mainly outside of the ERASMUS area.
The application deadlines in 2023 have expired. Applications can be submitted again between 1 January and 15 February 2024 via the Mobility Online Portal.
The faculties select PROMOS scholarship holders. If you have any questions about the programme, please contact:
- Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Theology: International Office
- Faculty of Business, Economics, and Law (School of Business, Economics and Society): International Relations Office, Ms Kuka
- Faculty of Business, Economics, and Law (School of Law): Contact for international affairs in general
- Faculty of Medicine: Dean of Studies Office
- Faculty of Sciences: Internationalisation coordinator
- Faculty of Engineering: Office for Student Information and Advice
If you have any questions about the Mobility Online Portal, please send an e-mail with ‘PROMOS’ in the subject line to email@example.com.
Which stays abroad are eligible for funding?
Partial scholarships for mobility and/or stays for
- Study stays with a minimum duration of 1 month
- Work on final theses with a minimum duration of 1 month
- Internships with a minimum duration of 1 month (new as of 2024), if none of the DAAD’s specific internship programmes are suitable. The minimum duration also applies to clinical electives
- Language courses with a minimum duration of 3 weeks and with at least 25 hours of lessons per week at a state run or private university or at an established language institute
- Specialist courses with a duration of up to 6 weeks that are offered by universities or academic organisations, e.g. summer courses. Travel expenses for giving presentations and attending conferences are not eligible for funding
Daily allowances for
- Study trips of up to 12 days’ duration for participants as well as an FAU representative
- Trips for competitions of up to 12 days’ duration for participants as well as an FAU representative. The focus of the trip should be on the competition between the students. Travel for the purposes of tourism is not eligible for funding.
Stays abroad that start at the earliest on 1 January 2024 and at the latest on 31 December 2024 are eligible for funding. In some cases, stays abroad that have already begun at the end of 2023 may also be eligible. Please consult the programme coordinators listed above.
The faculties and schools accept applications for the following types of stay:
|Study stays||Work on final theses||Internships||Language courses||Specialist courses||Study trips||Trips for competitions|
|Faculty of Humanities, Social Science, and Theology||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes, especially for students in degree programmes with links to Asia or the Far East and for languages that are not widely spoken||Yes||Yes||No|
|School of Business, Economics and Society||Yes, at selected partner universities||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|School of Law||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes, particularly in France||Yes, particularly in France||Yes, particularly to France||Yes, e.g. EU simulation events, moot courts|
|Faculty of Medicine||No||Yes||Yes, for internships for MSc Molecular Medicine, clinical rotations in Medicine and clinical electives (≥ 1 month) in Medicine or Dentistry||No||No||No||Yes, at partner universities|
|Faculty of Sciences||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||No||No|
|Faculty of Engineering||Yes (1st priority)||Yes (1st priority)||Yes (depending on the availability of funds)||No||No||No||No|
For which countries is funding available?
- For study stays and internships outside the Erasmus+ programme countries
- Final theses worldwide (prerequisite: stay is justified by the purpose of writing the thesis, students may not attend regular classes at a university abroad, time schedule and supervision agreement from FAU)
- Language courses, specialist courses, study trips and trips for competitions worldwide
At the Faculty of Engineering, PROMOS scholarships are primarily awarded for stays abroad in the US and Canada. Subject to the availability of remaining funds, stays in other countries outside the Erasmus+ programme countries may also be funded (new as of 2024).
The School of Business, Economics and Society awards PROMOS scholarships for study stays at selected partner universities only.
At the Faculty of Medicine, paid internships in Switzerland (e.g. clinical rotation with a contract for a clinical internship) are not eligible for funding.
Please ensure you observe the information regarding travel and safety and, in particular, the (partial) travel warnings of the Federal Foreign Office when planning your stay and for the duration of your stay abroad. Funding through a PROMOS scholarship may only be provided if there is no travel warning for the country or region in question during the funding period. Students who are German citizens and who are planning a stay abroad in a region with a critical situation regarding security are requested to register in the crisis prevention list kept by the Federal Foreign Office.
Who can apply?
- All regularly enrolled students at FAU. They remain enrolled at FAU during their stay abroad
- Doctoral candidates can only apply for funding for language or specialist courses and study trips or trips for competitions (exception: medical students who gain a doctoral degree during their degree programme can also receive funding as part of study stays or internships as well as for completing final theses)
- Students/doctoral candidates who are not German citizens are not permitted to go on stays abroad in their home country; the home country is considered the country in which the student/doctoral candidate has predominantly been living for the last five years.
- Students must have sufficient language skills to successfully complete their stay abroad
- Students are not permitted to receive any other funding from the DAAD for their planned stay abroad
- Students from the Faculty of Engineering must have an average grade of 2.5 or above at the time of application.
Amount of funding
- The amount of funding for stays abroad with a PROMOS scholarship is calculated by means of lump sums defined by the DAAD.
- The scholarship is only partial funding, it is not sufficient to cover all the costs of a stay abroad.
- Partial scholarships are usually awarded for stays abroad or mobility.
- The maximum funding period is 6 months.
- Partial scholarships can be awarded up to February 2025, which means that rotations as part of the year of practical training for medical students begun on 30 December 2024 can only be funded for a maximum of 2 months
- The exact amount and duration of funding for each individual scholarship is determined by the PROMOS selection committees at the faculties.
- PROMOS scholarship holders with disabilities (degree of disability ≥50) or a chronic medical condition can receive additional funding (special requirements) if no other financial assistance is provided (e.g. from the social security provider). The application for assistance must be submitted to the DAAD at least 2 months before the planned stay abroad.
At FAU, PROMOS scholarships are awarded on the basis of a quality-oriented selection process; direct applications to the DAAD are not possible. The decision about awarding scholarships is made by the PROMOS selection committee of the relevant faculty.
The main selection criteria are:
- Academic achievements to date (40%)
- The intent and purpose of the planned stay abroad for further studies (40%)
- Applicable language skills (20%)
Applications for a PROMOS scholarship must be filed in the funding year in which you plan to start your stay abroad. You can also file an application if you are already abroad. DAAD guidelines stipulate that funding is not available for completed stays abroad.
The following application deadlines apply:
- 15 February 2024 for stays abroad that start between 1 January 2024 and 30 June 2024. In some cases, stays abroad that have already begun at the end of 2023 may also be eligible; please consult the programme coordinators listed above
- 15 July 2024 for stays abroad that start between 1 June 2024 and 31 December 2024
The decision to grant the PROMOS scholarships is made within 5 weeks after the end of the application deadline. All applicants are informed as soon as possible about the outcome of the application process.
After registering on the Mobility Online Portal, please upload the following documents, bearing any exceptions listed below in mind:
- CV in tabular form with passport photo
- Current certificate of enrolment at FAU
- A current overview of course achievements to date from campo (‘Standardansicht’ excerpt with average grade)
- If applicable, copies of previous university degrees (e.g. Bachelor’s degree including final grade)
- Confirmation of the stay abroad (e.g. internship contract, admission letter from host university, invitation letter from the host institution, supervision agreement from an FAU professor for final theses that are not associated with an institution; description of the programme and the number of hours of teaching for language and specialist courses)
- Letter of motivation (1-2 pages), please include the following points: academic motivation for the stay abroad, preparation in terms of language and cultural skills, relevance of the stay abroad to degree programme at FAU; for final theses: details of the planned stay with a time schedule and reasons why you are writing your final thesis abroad
- Proof of language skills (UNIcert certificate, ‘mobility test’ language certificate from FAU Language Centre, TOEFL, IELTS, TOPIK, HSK, JLPT, DELF, DALF, DELE; others can be used after consultation with the programme coordinator, certificates must be a maximum of 2 years old); Students of an English-only degree programme and students of English Studies/American Studies do not need to submit additional proof of their English language proficiency
- If applicable, copy of your confirmation of a scholarship for a previous stay abroad funded by PROMOS
- Request a letter of recommendation from a professor or a university lecturer at FAU on the corresponding template; for students at the Faculty of Medicine: Letter of recommendation from a professor or habilitated private lecturer; for human medicine not the Dean’s Letter.
Please note: The person writing the reference must sent the letter of recommendation directly to Ms Karin Sickel at International Affairs (S-International). The document cannot be submitted by the applicant him/herself.
If the letter of recommendation and/or the language certificate are not yet available by the application deadline, these documents can be submitted in a timely manner.
Students from the Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Theology must also send their application and the datasheet from the Mobility Online Portal via e-mail to the programme coordinator named above.
Applications for study trips and trips for competitions must be submitted collectively by an FAU representative. The following documents must be sent by e-mail to the programme coordinator of the faculty as well as to Ms Sickel at the Central Office for International Affairs (S-International):
- List of participants including their first name, last name, degree programme, type of degree, semester number, e-mail address, and signature of all participants
- Justification and description of the content of the study trip/trip to attend a competition, for example, acquisition of subject-specific knowledge and skills, opportunities to meet international students and researchers, insight into culture of the region
- Current certificate of enrolment of all students participating
Combinations with other scholarship programmes
If you have received additional funding from another source for your stay abroad, you must first check if you are permitted to receive this funding at the same time as a PROMOS scholarship. The rules are generally as follows:
- PROMOS and PROMOS: You can receive more than one PROMOS scholarship for a stay abroad during a specific phase of your education. Funding can be provided for study stays or internships lasting a maximum of 6 months. There are no limits on the maximum period of funding for participation in specialist courses, language courses, study trips and trips for competitions.
- ERASMUS+ and PROMOS: It is not possible to receive a PROMOS scholarship at the same time as funding from ERASMUS+.
- BAföG and PROMOS: If you are receiving BAföG for your stay abroad, you are obliged to report your PROMOS scholarship to the relevant office for BAföG while abroad. The office checks if the PROMOS scholarship needs to be offset against any funding provided by BAföG for your stay abroad.
- DAAD scholarships and PROMOS: It is not permitted to receive funding from a PROMOS scholarship at the same time as other funding through DAAD.
- ‘Deutschlandstipendium’ and PROMOS: Students are permitted to receive the ‘Deutschlandstipendium’ and the PROMOS scholarship simultaneously without any limits.
- Scholarships from public funds and PROMOS: Scholarships from German public funds (e.g. BAYIND, BAYLAT, BAYCHINA, etc.) may not be used for the same purpose as a PROMOS scholarship. A case-by-case assessment is required. If you have applied for PROMOS and another public scholarship, please ensure you include this on your application and inform both scholarship providers of both ongoing applications and whether you have been accepted or rejected.
- Scholarships from private funds and PROMOS: There are no restrictions for receiving scholarships from private funds and PROMOS scholarships.
Insurance cover abroad
PROMOS scholarships do not include insurance cover. Please therefore ensure you have the following:
- International health insurance
- Accident insurance
- Liability insurance (professional and personal liability insurance, if applicable)
DAAD offers an international insurance policy that includes health, accident and private liability insurance. More information is available on the DAAD website. If you have any questions about insurance for stays abroad, please e-mail Versicherungsstelle@daad.de.