FAU travel scholarships for stays abroad
FAU travel scholarships for stays abroad
With funding from the Bavarian State Ministry of Science and the Arts and the FAU-based Ilse and Dr. Alexander Mayer Foundation, the university awards travel scholarships to support stays abroad.
If you have any questions about the programme or your application, please contact Ms Karin Sickel, S-International. Please send an e-mail with “Travel scholarship” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications can be submitted between 15 March and 30 April 2023 via the Mobility Online Portal.
Which stays abroad are eligible for funding?
The following stays abroad can be supported with a travel scholarship:
- Study stays
- Work on final theses
- Internships relevant to studies (including medical practical training “Praktisches Jahr” and clinical electives)
- Participation in summer schools or winter schools
Stays abroad for field research without a connection to a host institution are not eligible for funding.
For which countries is funding available?
Funding is available for stays abroad worldwide, with the exception of the Erasmus+ programme countries and Switzerland. In these cases, please check the funding opportunities via ERASMUS+ study, ERASMUS+ traineeships and DAAD-PROMOS.
Who can apply?
- Regularly enrolled students at FAU (Bachelor, Master, Staatsexamen) who remain enrolled at FAU for the duration of the stay abroad
Doctoral candidates are not eligible for funding. The FAU Graduate Centre provides information on options for doctoral candidates.
Amount of funding
The travel grants are awarded as a lump sum. The amount is a fixed 900 euros.
The travel scholarships at FAU support qualified students who complete a stay abroad during their studies. Funding is intended in particular for stays abroad that take place within the framework of FAU cooperations.
The main selection criteria are:
- Academic achievements to date
- The intent and purpose of the planned stay abroad for further studies
- Letter of recommendation
- Financial need (personal statement; see application documents)
Applications for a travel scholarship must be filed in the funding year in which you plan to start your stay abroad.
There are two application deadlines every year:
- 30 April
- 30 September
You can also file an application while you are already abroad.
The decision to grant the travel scholarships is made within 3 weeks after the end of the application deadline. All applicants are informed as soon as possible about the outcome of the application process.
After registering with the Mobility Online Portal, please upload the following documents:
- CV in tabular form
- Current certificate of enrolment at FAU
- A current overview of course achievements to date from campo (“list of examinations” with average grade)
- Confirmation of the stay abroad with details of the exact period of stay (e.g. internship contract, admission letter from host university, invitation letter from the host institution)
- Letter of recommendation from a professor or university lecturer at FAU on the corresponding template (see below under “Downloads”);
Please note: The letter of recommendation can be submitted via the applicant or directly by the person writing the reference to Ms Karin Sickel at International Affairs (S-International)
- Statement of financial need (template see below under “Downloads”)
- If applicable, copies of other scholarship certificates for your stay abroad
Incomplete applications or applications not submitted by the deadline will not be considered.
Combination with other scholarship programmes
A combination of the travel scholarship with other scholarships is generally possible if the guidelines of the other scholarship also allow it. A case-by-case assessment is required.
Scholarships from public funds may generally not be used for the same purpose. However, for example, the combination of a travel scholarship with partial scholarship instalments for the stay within the framework of the DAAD-PROMOS programme at FAU is possible, as the purpose of the funding is different (travel vs. stay).