FAUexchange – Application
How do I apply for an exchange place?
Applications for the direct exchange programme ‘FAUexchange’ can be submitted once a year, in the winter semester. You can apply in the summer semester for any exchange places still available after this deadline has passed. Applications have to be submitted via the online portal Mobility Online.
The direct exchange programme at FAU known as ‘FAUexchange’ is open to students at all faculties. However, admission restrictions at the partner universities mean that not all degree programmes at FAU offer the same opportunities.
Due to strict admission requirements, students of medicine, dentistry, law and pharmacy only have very limited options for an exchange.
The requirements for taking part are as follows:
- Students must be enrolled at FAU at the time of application.
- Students must remain enrolled at FAU for the duration of the exchange.
- The host university can offer a place in a degree programme in a suitable subject. Please inform yourself independently.
- Students are sufficiently proficient in the teaching language at the host university.
- Students studying for a Bachelor’s degree or a State Examination must be at least in the 2nd semester of their degree programme at the time of submitting the internal FAU application.
- Students have not yet exceeded deadlines for completing their degree at the time of submitting the internal FAU application.
Criteria for selection
Places are allocated by a selection committee consisting of representatives from International Affairs and the faculties.
The final decision is taken on the basis of the following criteria:
- Compliance with all formal requirements for participation
- Course achievements and academic qualifications
- Motivation for studying abroad and expected benefits
- Volunteering at university or in the community, with relevant proof
- Language skills
The following application deadlines apply for exchanges in the academic year 2023/24:
- 15 November 2022: all partner universities for exchanges in winter semester 2023/24 and/or summer semester 2024
- 1 June 2023 (expected): any remaining places for exchanges in summer semester 2024
In their application, students can state a preference for up to two partner universities participating in the direct exchange programme ‘FAUexchange’.
The number of universities given in the application does not influence the final decision. Please only include universities in your application where you would actually be able and willing to study. Please note that the time of application does not affect the allocation of places. Places are allocated according to the selection criteria and not according to the time of application.
Applications should be submitted via the mobility online portal. You can register using your FAU IdM login. Applications may be submitted in either German or English. Please ensure that you submit your application in one language only (either in German or in English) and not a mixture of both. The letter of recommendation must be written in english.
Applications must be submitted via the application link that is activated during the application period.
The following documents must be provided via the online portal in PDF format:
- CV (in German or English), max. 1 page)
- Letter of motivation (in German or English), max. 1 page)
- Transcript of records (‘Standardansicht’ excerpt from campo with current average grade)
- Any degree certificates you already have with final grade (e.g. Bachelor’s degree certificate)
- Current certificate of enrolment at FAU
- Proof of language ability in the teaching language at the preferred university (if you include several host universities with different teaching languages in your application, then proof of language ability is required for each language); the proof must be no older than 2 years at the time the internal application is submitted at FAU. Please submit either the FAU mobility test or an official language certificate. Language students also need to submit proof of language ability. A school leaving certificate is not sufficient proof of language ability and shall not be accepted as such. The proof of language ability must be available at the date of applying for the FAUexchange program and be submitted together with all the other application documents.
- If applicable, confirmation of any volunteering you have done, either at university or in the community
The following documents must be submitted by e-mail:
- A current letter of recommendation from a professor or a research associate from your degree programme, giving details of your academic achievements and suitability for a stay abroad. The letter of recommendation must be printed on the Chair’s official letterhead and sent by the professor/lecturer personally by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of recommendation ought to be written in either English or the teaching language of the preferred university, as it may be forwarded to the partner university if your application is successful in the internal round of applications at FAU.
Please note that letters of recommendation from language teachers that are not from your specific area of study shall not be accepted.
- You should apply via the mobility online platform within the deadline. You may state your preference for up to two host universities in your application.
- All applications will be checked after the deadline has expired.
- You will be informed of the decision by e-mail by the end of January at the latest or by the end of July for remaining places.
- You will be kept up to date with what to do next once you have been selected for a place in the direct exchange programme at FAU.
- If you accept the exchange place you are offered, your application will be forwarded to your host university abroad. Please note that some partner universities require additional documents. The final decision on acceptance is made by the host university.
- As soon as you have received your letter of acceptance from the partner university you can apply for your visa and start to organise your journey.
- The date you start to study abroad depends on which country you go to.
- After completing your exchange abroad please submit your final documents to International Affairs via the mobility online platform: confirmation of exchange, experience report and your transcript of records.