FAUexchange – Application
How do I apply for an exchange place?
Applications for the direct exchange program “FAUexchange” can be submitted once a year, in the winter semester. You can apply in the summer semester for any exchange places still available after this deadline has passed. Applications are submitted via the Mobility Online portal.
The direct exchange program at FAU known as “FAUexchange” is open to students at all faculties. However, admission restrictions at the partner universities mean that not all degree programs at FAU offer the same opportunities.
Due to strict admission requirements, students of medicine, dentistry, law and pharmacy only have very limited options for an exchange.
The requirements for taking part are as follows:
- Students must be enrolled at FAU at the time of application.
- Students must remain enrolled at FAU for the duration of the exchange.
- The host university can offer a place in a degree program in a suitable subject. Please check with the host university yourself.
- Students are sufficiently proficient in the teaching language at the host university (level B2).
- Students studying for a Bachelor’s degree or a State Examination must be at least in the 2nd semester of their degree program at the time of submitting the internal FAU application.
- Students have not yet exceeded deadlines for completing their degree at the time of submitting the internal FAU application.
Criteria for selection
Places are allocated by a selection committee consisting of representatives from International Affairs and the faculties.
The final decision is taken on the basis of the following criteria:
- Compliance with all formal requirements for participation
- Course achievements and academic qualifications
- Motivation for studying abroad and expected benefits
- Volunteering at university or in the community, with relevant proof
- Language skills (level B2)
The following application deadlines apply for exchanges in the academic year 2024/25:
- November 15, 2023: all partner universities for exchanges in winter semester 2024/25 and/or summer semester 2025
- May 31, 2024: any remaining places for exchanges in summer semester 2025
In their application, students can state a preference for up to two partner universities participating in the direct exchange program “FAUexchange”.
The number of universities given in the application does not influence the final decision. Please only include universities in your application where you would actually be able and willing to study. Please note that the time of application does not affect the allocation of places. Places are allocated according to the selection criteria and not according to the time of application.
Applications should be submitted via the Mobility Online portal. You can register using your FAU IdM login. Applications may be submitted in either German or English. Please ensure that you submit your application in one language only (either in German or in English) and not a mixture of both. The letter of recommendation must be written in English.
Applications must be made via the application link that is activated during the application period.
The following documents must be provided via the online portal in PDF format:
- CV (in German or English), max. 1 page, A4)
- Letter of motivation (in German or English), max. 1 page, A4)
- Transcript of records (excerpt from Campo with current average grade)
- Any degree certificates you already have with final grade (e.g. Bachelor’s degree certificate)
- Current certificate of enrollment at FAU
- Proof of language ability (level B2) in the teaching language of the host university, no older than 2 years. Please submit either the FAU mobility test or an official language certificate. This also applies to language students (English Studies, Romance Studies, etc.). An “Abitur” certificate or a confirmation of participation in a language course is not sufficient proof of language proficiency. The proof of language ability must be available at the date of applying for the FAUexchange program and be submitted together with all the other application documents.
- If applicable, confirmation of any volunteering you have done, either at university or in the community
The following documents must be submitted by e-mail:
- A current letter of recommendation from a professor or a research associate from your degree program, giving details of your academic achievements and suitability for a stay abroad. The letter of recommendation must be printed on the Chair’s official letterhead and sent directly by e-mail to email@example.com. The letter of recommendation ought to be written in English, as it may be forwarded to the partner university if your application is successful in the internal round of applications at FAU.Please note that letters of recommendation from language teachers that are not from your specific area of study shall not be accepted.
- You should apply within the deadline via the Mobility Online platform. You may state your preference for up to two host universities in your application.
- All applications will be checked after the deadline has expired.
- You will be informed of the decision by e-mail by the end of January at the latest or by the end of July for remaining places.
- You will be kept up to date with what to do next once you have been selected for a place in the direct exchange program at FAU.
- If you accept the exchange place you are offered, your application will be forwarded to your host university abroad. Please note that some partner universities require additional documents. The final decision on acceptance is made by the host university.
- As soon as you have received your letter of acceptance from the partner university you can apply for your visa and start to organize your journey.
- The date you start to study abroad depends on which country you go to.
- After completing your exchange abroad please submit your final documents to International Affairs via the Mobility Online platform: confirmation of exchange, and experience report.