FAU Postdoc Day
Invitation to the first FAU Postdoc Day
FAU is organising its first FAU Postdoc Day. All postdoctoral researchers at FAU are invited to join.
With the motto ‘How to become a professor’, the event will address the factors that are decisive for a career portfolio for an academic career at a university, provide insights into the ‘job interview’ that usually takes place behind closed doors and discuss the current options for qualifying as a professor. During the get together after the presentations, representatives from FAU’s services will be available to provide careers advice.
- How can I develop my career portfolio so that my application for a professorship is successful?
- What can I expect in the meeting with the appointment committee? How can I present myself successfully and introduce myself effectively?
- Which path to becoming a professor is suitable for me?
- Which services are available for postdoctoral researchers at FAU?
The purpose of the event is to provide you with some ideas for planning your academic career, to show you what support FAU provides for postdoctoral researchers and to offer a forum for exchanging ideas and information.
Gain some input and ideas for your path to becoming a professor at presentations and interactive workshops, get in touch with experts from the services provided by FAU and talk to professors who have already been appointed.
The FAU Postdoc Day is aimed at postdoctoral researchers who have already gained their doctoral degrees up to and including habilitation/W1 professorship level.
Prof. Dr. Joachim Hornegger, FAU President
Prof. Dr. Friedrich Paulsen, Vice President People
Developing Your Portfolio for an Academic Career
Workshop 1: Insights into the appointment procedure – The interview with the appointment committee
Fictitious FAU appointment committee with members from various faculties:
Experienced members of FAU appointment committees simulate job interviews for fictional appointment procedures in the Faculties of Medicine/Sciences/Engineering. Two workshop participants will be able to take part in such a simulated job interview and receive feedback. Please indicate during registration if you would like to take part. Participants will be selected according to the order in which applications are received.
Presenter: Prof. Dr. Friedrich Paulsen
Workshop 2: Paths to becoming a professor – which is the right one for me?
Employment conditions and career prospects in research and the formal aspects of the appointment procedure will be explained during various presentations. In the interactive section of the workshop, newly-appointed professors to FAU will describe their experiences of the appointment procedure and will be available to answer any questions.
Dr. Anke Burkhardt, Institute of Higher Education Research, University of Halle-Wittenberg: The changing face of the postdoctoral phase. Employment conditions and career prospects in research
Karolin Benker, Heike Mertin, Appointments and Apppointment Procedures, FAU: Formal aspects of the appointment procedure
FAU professors: My path to becoming a professor – first-hand experiences
Presenter: Prof. Dr. Lars Bräuer
Get together: An introduction to services available at FAU
During the get together after the main event, you will have the opportunity to talk to representatives of various FAU services, such as:
- Young Researcher Support
- Research Strategy
- Centre for Continuing Education in University-Level Teaching (Fortbildungszenrum Hochschullehre)
- Appointments and Appointment Procedures
- Office of Equality and Diversity
- Welcome Centre
- Alumni management
- Research and internationalisation representatives from the Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Theology
- Research and internationalisation representatives from the Faculty of Business, Economics, and Law
- Research and internationalisation representatives from the Faculty of Medicine
- Research and internationalisation representatives from the Faculty of Sciences
- Research and internationalisation representatives from the Faculty of Engineering
Please address any questions about the event to: