FAUexchange – Frequently asked questions

Answers to the most frequently asked questions on the programme

You can’t find what you’re looking for? Please contact the Mobility Team at the Office for International Affairs. The best way to reach us is by e-mail: mobility@fau.de.

The direct exchange programme FAUexchange is essentially open to students at all faculties. However, whether or not you can really find something suitable for you to study depends on the degree programme you are studying at FAU and the admission requirements of the partner universities.

Not all partner universities offer all the degree programmes available at FAU. Please check the partner universities’ websites yourself to see whether they offer suitable degree programmes. You should also check whether there are any admission restrictions for exchange students.

As admission requirements tend to be very strict and there are fundamental differences in the way training is organised, there are only very few partner universities which offer possibilities for students of medicine, dentistry, law and pharmacy.

Please check on the websites of the foreign partner universities to see what they offer. If you have any questions please contact the Mobility Team at the Office for International Affairs.

Students of medicine, dentistry, law and pharmacy who would like to study abroad would be best advised to check out existing partnerships available via their department first, as here they can be sure that what they study abroad will fit in with what they’re studying at FAU. The following options are also available within the context of the FAUexchange direct exchange programme:

For medical students:

Students may be able to be admitted to subject-related degree programmes (e.g. health management, epidemiology) at the following universities:

  • Université Laval (Canada): Maîtrise en épidémiologie, Maîtrise en microbiologie-immunologie (méd), Maîtrise en médecine moléculaire, Maîtrise en santé communautaire; it is not possible to study either medicine or dentistry
  • Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières (Canada):Baccalauréat en biologie médicale, Maîtrise en sécurité et hygiène industrielle; it is not possible to study either medicine or dentistry

For students at the School of Law

For students of pharmacy

Teacher training is organised differently in other countries than in Germany. It is unlikely that you will be able to study a similar range of interdisciplinary subjects abroad as you can at FAU. You should therefore be prepared to concentrate on one subject or courses with more of a focus on teacher training.

Depending how far on you are in your degree programme at FAU, you can apply for a place on a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree programme at the foreign university. If you complete three years of your degree programme at FAU before going abroad, you can usually apply for a place on a Master’s degree programme. However, this is subject to the condition that you are studying the relevant subject in depth at FAU.

No, generally not. You should be prepared to only be able to study one of your subjects abroad, or at least to focus predominantly on just one of them. However, a number of partner universities do allow exchange students to combine classes from various degree programmes.

The language skills you require for a stay abroad depend on the partner university abroad. Generally speaking, you need to be good enough at the language to be able to participate actively in lessons. You are well prepared to study abroad if your proficiency in the relevant language is equivalent to at least level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference. In many cases it is also possible to spend time abroad with a less advanced knowledge of the relevant language.

The FAU Language Centre offers a wide range of language courses to help you obtain the language skills you need.

Yes, you must provide proof of language ability when you submit your internal FAU application. If you apply for several host universities with different teaching languages, then proof of language ability is required for each language. You still need to submit proof of your language ability even if you are a native speaker (please contact the Team Mobility directly), if you have taken or are taking a degree programme taught in English or if you have spent longer periods of time abroad. Language students also need to submit proof of language ability. The proof of language ability must be no older than 2 years at the time you submit your internal FAU application. Please submit either the FAU mobility test or an official language certificate.

A school leaving certificate is not sufficient proof of language ability.

The letter of recommendation must be issued by a professor or research associate from your subject area. Ideally, the letter of recommendation should be written by someone from FAU. However, if you have not yet started studying at FAU, the letter of recommendation can also come from someone at the university you previously attended (e.g. The supervisor of your Bachelor’s thesis).

It is important that the person who writes the letter knows you as well as possible. If you have only just started studying at FAU and haven’t yet got to know your lecturers/professors very well, then you will have to now make an effort to do so. Think which class you have done particularly well in, where you may have made a lasting impression. Call in to see the lecturer or professor during their office hours as soon as possible, and introduce yourself and your plans for spending time abroad. Give the person you have chosen plenty of time to write the letter.

The letter of recommendation should give details of your academic achievements and suitability for a stay abroad. It must be printed on the Chair’s official letterhead and submitted per mail. The letter of recommendation ought to be written in either English, as if your application is successful in the internal round of applications at FAU, it may be forwarded to the partner university.