Advice and Formalities
What you should know about your stay in Germany and at FAU
As soon as you have received confirmation from your host department and your financing has been finalized, please ensure that you register in our database. Providing your data in this way means we can offer you the best support for your stay at FAU. You can benefit from all our advisory services as well as our range of leisure activities.Register now
Please feel free to contact the Welcome Center if you have any questions. We are happy to advise you.
Before your stay in Germany
Once you have been in touch with your host institute at FAU, you can start getting ready for your stay in the Nuremberg Metropolitan Region. You should make the following preparations:
- Entry visa and residence permit
- You will require a visa if you are coming to Germany from a third country. There are various types of visa. Please make an appointment in good time at the German embassy or consulate in the country you are currently residing in. You must apply for a residence permit with the immigration authorities in the city in Germany you are living in 6 to 8 weeks before your visa expires.
- Admission for doctoral candidates
- Please make the relevant arrangements for admission in good time. You can enroll once your admission has been approved. PhD candidates can enroll for a maximum of six semesters, visiting scientists for a maximum of two semesters.
- Health insurance
- Finding accommodation
- We are happy to be of assistance in finding accommodation, however we cannot guarantee any accommodation for you. It is very difficult to find affordable accommodation as the housing market is overstretched. This presents a challenge not only for individuals, but above all for families.
- Childcare and schools
- If you intend to bring your family or children with you to Germany, please inform us as soon as possible as there are a few obstacles to overcome due to the peculiarities of the Bavarian school system LINK and the shortage of kindergarten spaces.
You should bring the following documents with you for your stay in Germany (both the original document and copies, if applicable translated into either German or English):
- Doctoral degree certificate
- Only for doctoral candidates: School leaving certificate, degree certificates, academic transcripts
- Birth certificate, marriage certificate if applicable
- Proof of health insurance
- Vaccination records, any medication currently required, medical documents if necessary (e.g. in the case of a chronic illness)
- Proof of funding for your stay, e.g. proof of a scholarship or employment contract
- Several (biometric) passport photos
- If you have an employment contract with FAU: References/confirmations from previous employers
At the start of and during your stay
- Register with the local authorities
- Non-EU citizens: Apply for a residence permit with the immigration authorities if you will be staying in Germany after your visa expires.
- Open abank account, if necessary
- Take out sufficient health insurance, if you have not yet done so.
- Doctoral candidates: Admission and enrollment at FAU
As well as providing advice on any personal issues, questions and problems you may have, the Welcome Center can also advise you on matters regarding accommodation and living in the region, child benefit and parental allowance, kindergarten and schools, etc.
Before you leave Germany
Start planning your departure in good time. Notice periods for accommodation are often 3 months; insurance and other contracts must also usually be canceled quite far in advance.
- Cancel your accommodation rental contract
- Close your bank account and cancel insurance policies
- Cancel electricity, water, gas, telephone, internet, radio and TV license fees
- De-register with the local authorities (no more than one week before your departure). This is particularly important, as you may experience difficulties returning to Germany if you do not de-register.
- Return University restaurant cards, library card etc.
- Cancel your “Deutschlandticket”
- De-register with Welcome Center
The Welcome Center is for visiting researchers and doctoral candidates only. International students and interns should refer to information for international applicants.