The cities of Erlangen, Fürth and Nuremberg offer a very good standard of living. They are popular places to live, meaning that accommodation is in high demand but often in short supply. This is particularly the case during the period before the start of a new semester. We therefore recommend that you start looking for accommodation as soon as possible. If you are a little flexible and also look in the surrounding area, you will have a better chance of finding somewhere affordable to live. The region has an excellent public transport system, so you should not have any problems getting to your place of study or work.
It is worth checking the accommodation available on the internet every day, as new accommodation becomes available on a day-to-day basis. It pays to be flexible when it comes to the price and location of your accommodation and what facilities are available.
Information on finding accommodation
Please note the following:
- FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg is not able to offer accommodation. The University does not operate any student accommodation and is not allowed to act as an estate agent.
- University staff will try to assist you in your search. However, they are not responsible for finding accommodation and can only make recommendations.
- Your own initiative is therefore required to find suitable accommodation in the private housing market. Please take care of finding your accommodation in good time!
- Offers in the private housing market are scarce, especially in Erlangen; this means that it can take a lot of time and effort to find a flat or room. As in many other German university cities, the accommodation demand exceeds the supply by far, which often leads to high rents. We recommend you inquire about several flats/rooms before coming to Germany and to take advantage of a suitable offer without hesitation.
- Increase your chances by staying flexible and including rooms and flats in your search that are not in the direct vicinity of your place of study or work. We therefore recommend that you also search the area around Erlangen, Fürth and Nuremberg as well as the neighbouring towns of Forchheim and Ansbach. Thanks to the well-organised local transportation system (www.vgn.de) you can reach your place of study or work in Erlangen or Nuremberg quickly and cheaply. There are also tickets at reduced rates for students (semester ticket).
- Further information on the cities: Erlangen and surrounding area: www.erlangen.de; Nuremberg and surrounding area: www.nuernberg.de; Fürth and surrounding area: www.fuerth.de; Ansbach and surrounding area: www.ansbach.de; Forchheim and surrounding area: www.forchheim.de.
Please return the completed and signed form via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 May at the latest for the following winter semester or 30 November at the latest for the following summer semester.
- You will be given general information about finding accommodation and help getting in contact with accommodation owners, planning and organising accommodation.
- You will be placed on a waiting list. Each applicant will usually receive one offer of accommodation, depending on availability. If you receive an offer, you must decided whether or not you wish to accept it before the deadline stated. The final decision will then be made by the accommodation owner.
- If you decline the offer, someone else will take your place and you will be removed from the waiting list. If you wish to accept the offer, please contact the accommodation owner yourself to arrange formalities such as receiving and signing the contract. Take note of the information and deadlines which you receive via e-mail. Please also inform the Central Office for International Affairs (RIA) of your decision via e-mail at email@example.com.
Please read the general tips on accommodation for all target groups and the FAQs for international students (German).
If you have a place in student accommodation, please hand in your certificate of enrolment as soon as possible. For each semester that you stay in the accommodation, you must hand in your current certificate of enrolment without being requested to do so.
You may apply for a place in accommodation owned by Student Services and can also look for privately-owned accommodation.
There are not enough rooms for all applicants. It is usually only possible for around one third of exchange students to be offered a place in student accommodation. Please also apply for rooms in private accommodation.
You will be informed of how to apply for a room in Student Services accommodation during the process of applying for a place to study at FAU.