Enrolment for international applicants
The following information only applies to international doctoral candidates and international applicants who have been admitted to a Master’s Degree Programme taught in English. Information on how to enrol for degree programmes that require a sufficient knowledge of the German language is available on the following German page: Einschreibung/Immatrikulation (german).
To enrol for a Master’s degree programme you must first submit an application for admission. You will then receive an admission letter with information on how and when to enrol and which documents are required. Detailed information on the application process is available on the page for international applicants.
For information on the application process for doctoral candidates please visit the FAU Graduate School’s website.
Notification of enrolment and receipt of documents
If your documents are complete and your payment has been received, you will be enrolled and will receive an information letter with the activation code for your University user account (e.g. for printing official documents), either in person or via post. You will receive a letter with your student ID (FAUcard) from the FAUcard Service Office three weeks after activating your user account at the earliest. Your student ID card can only be issued after you have uploaded a photo during the activation process.
Dates for enrolment in person:
- Students enrolling in Master’s degree programmes taught exclusively in English can enrol in person between 18 February and 29 March 2019 (summer semester) or between 22 July and 30 September 2019 (winter semester).
- To ensure that waiting periods during enrolment are kept as short as possible, you will need to reserve an appointment. You will not be able to enrol without an appointment. You can only register for an appointment online at https://campo.fau.de/termin.
- International doctoral candidates may enrol until 29 March 2019 (summer semester) or 30 September 2019 (winter semester).
- International students who are sitting the DSH examination can enrol on 17 and 18 April 2019 for the summer semester (no appointment necessary).
Documents to be submitted
- Admissions letter and enrolment form („Einschreibeantrag“)
- ID card or passport: International students are required to bring their passport.
- Residence permit for study purposes: Required for applicants who are not EU citizens or citizens of a country which is part of the European Economic Area. A confirmation from local immigration authorities may be submitted if a residence permit is not available. A visa is not a residence permit!
- Proof of university entrance qualification (original; not required by doctoral candidates): Certificate proving that the applicant is qualified for university entrance in the Free State of Bavaria for the chosen degree programme (e.g. secondary education certificate, original degree certificate).
- Proof of statutory health insurance: If you are insured with a statutory health insurance provider, you can obtain proof of your statutory health insurance for enrolment at a university from your insurance provider. A health insurance card or a general confirmation of membership are not sufficient. If you are insured with a private health insurance provider or if you are exempt from statutory insurance, you will require confirmation from a statutory health insurance provider regarding statutory insurance (e.g. exemption from statutory health insurance). A confirmation from your private health insurance provider is not sufficient. Please address questions regarding health insurance to the statutory health insurance providers.
- Only if applicable:
- Certificate showing the duration of studies: If you have already been enrolled at a German university in the past, a certificate showing details of the degree programme, the duration of your studies and your de-registration is required.
- Confirmation of suitability: For students changing to a different subject in a higher semester, the confirmation of suitability form must be filled out by the previous university (see enrolment application).
- Accreditation of semesters issued by the Examinations Office responsible: In the event of lateral entry into a higher semester, accreditation of semesters required for the admission which has been granted is required.
Applicants for a doctoral programme require:
- Online registration of their doctoral proposal at docdaten.fau.de
- A signed enrolment application printed from the online application system (campo)
- ID card or passport
- Confirmation of statutory health insurance or exemption from statutory insurance (only required for doctoral candidates under 30 years of age); please contact your health insurance provider
- Confirmation of your status as a doctoral candidate at FAU (can be downloaded from docdaten.fau.de under ‘Dokumente’ once you have been admitted)
Location for enrolment in person
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office hours: Weekly Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, 08:30 am - 12:00 pm,
Additional opening hours (only during the lecture period): Wednesday, 2.00 – 4.00 pm
Certificate of enrolment
You can print out a certificate of enrolment as many times as you require from the mein campus portal. You will receive your log-in details for mein campus via post.