Application and admission
If you would like to come to FAU via an exchange or scholarship program, you must submit your application for admission to FAU’s International Affairs team in good time prior to the intended start of your studies.
How and when should I submit my application for admission?
Applications are submitted online. You will be sent a link to the application via e-mail after we have received the nomination from your home university or your scholarship organization. Nomination by the home university does not automatically qualify students for a place at FAU. Admission is only granted after the FAU subject coordinators have assessed the application documents.
Deadlines for applications at FAU:
- May 15 for the following winter semester
- November 15 for the following summer semester
Documents required for application
The following documents must be submitted along with the application for admission:
- Evidence of one or two years studying a degree program in your home country (transcript of records). A translation in German or English must be submitted if the certificate is not in German or English.
- For Master’s degree students: Bachelor’s degree certificate (if applicable)
- Certificate of enrollment from your home university
- Proof of proficiency in German or English, for example issued by a language teacher (see below for a template you can download). Please ask your home university for the level of language you require.
- Letter of nomination from your home university
Students who are coming to FAU to finish a final thesis and will not be attending seminars or lectures must submit confirmation of supervision from an FAU professor to the International Affairs team along with their application. Please use the template we provide for a supervision agreement (“Betreuungszusage”).
|Bewerbung und Zulassung
|Nachweis der Deutschkentnisse.pdf
|Evidence of English Language.pdf
Notification of admission
Applicants are notified in writing whether their application to FAU was successful as soon as possible after the end of the application period. The admissions letter contains information on the enrollment process. The admissions letter must be kept safely, as it is essential for applying for a visa and must be presented at enrollment. Exchange students or students participating in an exchange program may only be admitted to the University for one or two semesters.
Applicants may only be admitted in subjects included in the agreement between FAU and their home universities. However, exchange students are usually able to attend courses in other subjects and receive credits for them.