History of FAU
A look at 275 years of University history
The University of Erlangen was opened on November 4, 1743, the future “dies academicus”. Established by Margrave Friedrich von Brandenburg-Bayreuth and expanded from 1769 by Margrave Alexander von Brandenburg-Ansbach and Brandenburg-Bayreuth, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität was the third university in the Franconian region. “Erlangen-Nürnberg” was added to the name in 1961 when the college of business, economics and social sciences in Nuremberg was incorporated into the University.
The Historical Lexicon of Bavaria gives a detailed history of FAU including information on literature, sources and reference works and links to the founding charters.History of FAU in the Historical Lexicon of Bavaria