Applying for Master's degree programmes
Submitting your Master's degree application
You have decided to apply for a Master’s degree programme at FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg. We congratulate you on your decision and would be glad to welcome you at FAU.
On this website, you will find further about the application process. Please read the information carefully before applying for a Master’s degree programme at our university.
Winter semester 2018/19: The application period starts on 18 January 2018.
Please observe that you cannot apply for the summer semester 2018 and the winter semester 2018/19 simultaneously.
Please note that the application period for MSc Psychology is scheduled to begin at the end of April 2018.
- If you have selected winter semester 2018/19 at www.campo.fau.eu and you have clicked on “Start application”, you cannot apply for the summer semester 2018
- If you have have selected summer semester 2018 here, you can only apply for the winter semester 2018/19 in May 2018.
- If you have already applied for the summer semester 2018 at www.campo.fau.eu you can only apply for the winter semester 2018/19 in May 2018.
- Advanced Materials and Processes (MSc): MAP website
- Advanced Optical Technologies (MSc): MAOT website
- Advanced Signal Processing and Communications Engineering (MSc): ASC website
- Communications und Multimedia Engineering (MSc): CME website
- Computational Engineering (MSc): CE website
- Ethics of Textual Cultures (MA): Ethics of Textual Cultures website
- Physical Activity and Health (MA): Physical Activity and Health website
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are not able to provide any information regarding your application status. However, you can check your application status at www.campo.fau.eu.
Information on applications
To be admitted to a Master’s degree programme you must have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent. Before applying, please read the current information on Master’s degree programmes at FAU. A separate list of all international degree programmes and degree programmes taught in English is provided.
If you want to apply for one of our Master’s degree programmes the most important information regarding the application procedure in general, special admission requirements, application deadlines and admissions examinations for individual degree programmes is available here:
- Application deadlines and language proficiency for Master’s degree programmes
- Supporting documents for applications for Master degree programmes at FAU
If you are required to complete a German language course before starting a degree programme that is taught in German, you must first apply for this via the application portal campo. You must then send all required documents to the Master’s Office by post.
Referat L4 – Masterbüro
The application process
It is possible to start a Master’s degree programme before completing your undergraduate degree if you meet certain minimum requirements. You must present your undergraduate degree certificate within one year of starting your Master’s degree programme. If you are unable to do so, you will not be able to continue with the Master’s degree programme. Applicants with non-German Bachelor’s degrees must present their Bachelor’s degree certificate before enrolling.
In addition, Diplom students must be close to completing their degree programme.
Individual degree programmes that make use of this rule have different requirements. If you are unsure of which requirements apply, please contact the degree programme co-ordinator. The following list provides an overview of the different regulations at each of the faculties with regard to the minimum requirements for applications:
Students may apply for the degree programme in Molecular Medicine once they have completed modules worth a minimum of 150 ECTS credits.
- Students may apply for the degree programmes in Chemistry, Computational and Applied Mathematics/, Industrial Mathematics, Geosciences, Mathematics, Molecular Science and Economics and Mathematics once they have completed modules worth a minimum of 140 ECTS credits.
- Students may apply for the degree programmes in Integrated Life Sciences (ILS) and Cell and Molecular Biology once they have completed modules worth a minimum of 135 ECTS credits.
- Students must have completed modules worth a minimum of 150 ECTS credits to apply to the degree programmes in Cultural Geography and Physical Geography.
Referat L4 – Masterbüro
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- English Studies
- Health Management and Health Economics
- Information and Communication Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Materials Physics
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Medical engineering
- Molecular Science
- Chinese Studies
- Industrial Engineering and Management
Other degree programmes do not require documents to be uploaded.
Step by step
- Once you have filled out your full application at campo, go to the upload area in the ‘Studienbewerbung’ (degree programme application) menu.
- Click on ‘Upload-Bereich hinzufügen’ (add upload area) to open a new window where you can select the type of document to be uploaded and then select the file you wish to upload.
- Click on ‘Neues Dokument anlegen’ (add new document) and then ‘Durchsuchen’ (search).
- This file will then be selected to be uploaded.
- Now click ‘Hochladen’ (upload). The uploaded document will appear under the relevant option in the menu.
Each page must be created and uploaded as a separate pdf file with a maximum size of 5000 KB (e.g. single page CV) unless the pages belong together (e.g. transcript of records with several pages).
Once you have filled out the full application and uploaded the pdf files, you can then submit your application including the uploaded files by clicking ‘Antrag senden’ (submit application).
Changing uploaded documents
In the upload area in the menu, you can check the documents which you have uploaded by clicking on the files. If you discover that you have uploaded the wrong file, to replace the file:
Click on ‘Zurück zur Übersicht’ (back to overview) and ‘Antrag bearbeiten’ (edit application) and edit your application as required. To do so please go to the ‘Studienbewerbung’ (degree programme application) and ‘Upload-Bereich’ (upload area) sections.
Please note that you can only edit your application if you have not yet submitted it to FAU online.