Registering your doctoral project
Registering via docDaten
As a doctoral candidate at FAU you must register your doctoral project when you start working on it.
Advantages of registration
- valid for the entire process of completing your doctoral degree
official status as a member of FAU as a doctoral candidate, regardless of whether you have a contract with or are enrolled at the University
reliable documentation of the process starting from receipt of your confirmation of supervision
early clarification of requirements for admission and examination
clear overview of the current status of the process
greater legal security
opportunity to take part in the Graduate Centre’s professional development programmes
Enrolment is not the same as registration via docDaten.
Registration is not the same as admission.
- Register yourself and your doctoral project in our docDaten database.
- Submit all required documents in order to be granted admission by the Office of Doctoral Affairs. All the required documents are available for you to download from the docDaten database.
You do not have to enrol as a doctoral student, but enrolling allows you to make use of a range of benefits and discounts:
- semester ticket
- use of services offered by Student Services (German) at the student price (cafeterias etc., not places in student accommodation)
- participation in FAU courses including sports courses (German) and free language courses (German)
- potential advantages with regard to right of residence for non-European doctoral candidates
- discounts on admission prices for leisure, cultural and sporting activities (e.g. cinema, gym)
- discounts on software, licences and media subscriptions
- doctoral candidates who are enrolled may use FAU software for private purposes like enrolled students
- child allowance (depending on your age and marital status)
At Bavarian universities, doctoral candidates may enrol for up to three years but do not have to do so. Exceptions to this are doctoral candidates who are working towards a doctoral degree according to the old doctoral regulations of the School of Business and Economics, who must be enrolled for a duration of two semesters.
Some scholarship organisations require doctoral candidates to be enrolled.